bullet selection- what do you think?

Talk anything related to Rifle hunting
quebechunter
Spike
Spike

bullet selection- what do you think?

Post by quebechunter » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:24 pm

hi everyone!
i'll tell you how i chose the bullet i want to reload for my 300 rum and you tell me your ideas or advices on the subject.
since the rum is a pretty fast cartdridge. i ruled out all the normal jacketed bullets
for the same reason, i kept only the 200 grainer in bonded bullets, i only found the accubond.
other great bullets would have been the trophy bonded bear claw and the a frame in 180 grains
but they're 2.00$ a piece over here. so, ruled out also.(the a frame also have poor b.c.)
i took a good look at the barnes tsx. but torough searching on the net revealed a lot of
problem with expansion. another search on the 200 accubond gave fragmentation problem. ](*,) the nosler partition are great i use them and they 've always been reliable but they're not as pretty as a bullet with a polymer tip (**!!).
since the most regular problem i've had with this caliber was fragmentation i decided
to try the 168 gr. barnes ttsx. the polymer tip, larger nose cavity and higher speed (compared to 180 or 200 gr.) should give me reliable expansion. and its almost 100% weight retention
should make it penetrate as a 200 gr partition or accubond that lose 30-40% of its weight.

what do you guys think of this reasoning?

BIG R
4 point
4 point

Re: bullet selection- what do you think?

Post by BIG R » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:47 pm

If I were you I would definetly stay away from the accubond,I could show you some horror pics of those worthless bullets.I shoot nothing but the tsx and have just started shooting the tipped tsx and they are by far the best 2 bullets on the market. :thumb

TheGreatwhitehunter

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:49 pm

Barnes Triple shocks are awesome bullets and I also am pretty fond of the Hornady Interbonds.
THE LORD IS MY ROCK

M.Bird
3 point
3 point

Post by M.Bird » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:14 pm

Here is some information that you might not like. Evening doing all your homework, what happen when your barrel does NOT like the pill you are feeding? Have you looked at your twist rate; what weight the barrel was designed for? Finding a pet load for your rifle is a long and expensive process, manufactures don’t make bullets in 10 or 20 packs, you get to buy the box.
Best of Luck

NONYA
Monster
Monster

Post by NONYA » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:21 pm

quebechunter
Spike
Spike

Post by quebechunter » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:14 am

M.Bird wrote:Here is some information that you might not like. Evening doing all your homework, what happen when your barrel does NOT like the pill you are feeding? Have you looked at your twist rate; what weight the barrel was designed for? Finding a pet load for your rifle is a long and expensive process, manufactures don’t make bullets in 10 or 20 packs, you get to buy the box.
Best of Luck
i already tried them, my first reloads ever. i tried groupings with 89 to 94 grains of rl 25.
the worst grouping came out at 1.5" which i would be happy with in a hunting rifle.
91,92,and 94 grains had holes touching. looks like THIS load wont be long and expensive to develope. :thumb

M.Bird
3 point
3 point

Post by M.Bird » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:36 pm

Looks like you made a good choice on the bullets and powder combination. Did you run though a Crono yet?

quebechunter
Spike
Spike

Post by quebechunter » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:30 am

M.Bird wrote:Looks like you made a good choice on the bullets and powder combination. Did you run though a Crono yet?
i think i got beginners luck on this one.
i should be able to test them thru a chrono sometime next week.
i bought one on e-bay, and the tracking device from ups show me its in the custom since tuesday.
i bought a CED prochrono