lead ammo getting banned

Talk anything related to Rifle hunting
lifeishunting
Fawn
Fawn

lead ammo getting banned

Post by lifeishunting » Tue May 12, 2009 9:15 am

The anti`s are pushin for a ban on all lead ammo and fishing tackle throughout our national forests and parks. People we must make a stand.

A lot of this stuff flys under the radar or we do nothing about it and someday it`ll bite us in the butt....

http://huntersagainstpeta.com/Recent_An ... _News.html

Malloy805
Spike
Spike

Re: lead ammo getting banned

Post by Malloy805 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:32 pm

lifeishunting wrote:The anti`s are pushin for a ban on all lead ammo and fishing tackle throughout our national forests and parks. People we must make a stand.

A lot of this stuff flys under the radar or we do nothing about it and someday it`ll bite us in the butt....

http://huntersagainstpeta.com/Recent_An ... _News.html
It's banned here in So Cal because of the Condor. If you read the Regs in most western states they are currently not requiring lead free, but suggesting it. Only a matter of time :>/

ABert

Post by ABert » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:09 pm

Hate to say it but this has been a LONG time coming. We ALL have to admit that we know lead is bad for the environment, right? Quite a few ammo manufacturers are already ahead of the ball game by making bullets out of copper and various alloys. I think the fishing world is lacking, though I've heard of a few non-lead sinkers out there.

Remember, lead shot has been banned for waterfowl in almost every state, if not all, for more than a few years now. This is just the next step.

Do I like it? No.

Will it happen? Eventually

Will hunting and fishing survive? Yes

Will it help the environment? Hard to say with all the lead already out there but things won't get worse.
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.

Malloy805
Spike
Spike

Post by Malloy805 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:43 pm

ABert wrote:
Do I like it? No.

Will it happen? Eventually

Will hunting and fishing survive? Yes
It gives us something to %#@$& and moan about while blaming it on Democrats and Greenies ! lol

JBird
Monster
Monster

Post by JBird » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:22 pm

Honestly I don't mind the change. I've shot the Barnes Triple Shot X's since I got a couple of boxes when I drew an Arizona tag a few years ago. The program was implemented to help with the condors, now Utah is considering doing the same in Southern UT. I don't think they will offer free boxes of bullets forever, but I think that industry is headed down the road of lead free bullets anyway.

Buckskin Bandit
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Buckskin Bandit » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:47 am

I think we can live with this and save our fight for bigger issues. Like access to land and waters for us all and not just the privelaged few. I grew up with the "center of the crick" law keeping me and you out of prime fishing areas in northern Utah - but "we" owned the water...just not that land under it. What a bunch of b.s.
I will use lead free and I am sure that with ammo and fishing tackle the ban will create a demand for better performance and manufacturers will meet this....only at a higher price for us to shell out. Seems we are only "wanted" when it comes to revenue. Any other time we are barbarians or murderers.
Tell me why these people shame me in front of their kids and friends for going into the field to prepare dinner not just going to the store like they do!?!
Ooops, sorry. Ranting there. Been bashed too much by reformers lately-getting sensitive!

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:19 am

10sign:
+1

wingmaster36
2 point
2 point

Post by wingmaster36 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:53 pm

Maybe I can use up my 17 boxes of Federal Premium 7mm Rem mag before it goes nationwide. Mine is all loaded with the Sierra bullets. I haven't tried the TSX's in this rifle yet. My 300 Weatherby hated the original X-bullet and I swore off them 10 years ago, but now will give them another try if I hunt in an area where suggested or required.
"The things that are over my head are under God's feet." Adrian Rogers

digger
Spike
Spike

Post by digger » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:34 pm

good for barnes
if you get off the 4 wheeler you might see some deer

79Ford
Monster
Monster

Post by 79Ford » Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:48 pm

It will eventually happen and the only surprise here should be how long it has taken to get here. Personally I had already made the decision to reload Barnes TSX bullets for my .270 Win rather than opting for a lead core bullet. Part of that decision was based on environmental impact and part of it was based on the manufacturers claims that the bullet performs better than lead core bullets. Either way, if I make a bad shot on an animal, and am unable to find it, it should have a better chance of recovering without all of that lead in it's system. Makes me wonder how many deer and elk die every year due to lead poisoning from bad shots.

At the end of the day we just need to learn to accept it it's going to be here to stay.