Discouraged Hunter

Talk anything related to Rifle hunting
RHunter
Fawn
Fawn

Discouraged Hunter

Post by RHunter » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:46 am

Hey guys, I know I am new to this site, I just heard about it actually from a friend whom I told i was discouraged becasue I drew out on the West Desert Vernon hunt and I have been out scouting a few times and I just cant seem to find the deer that everyone talks about. All I hear is you will see 24 in 4 points all day long out there, but I have seen 4 bucks, only one was a four point and I doubt he was 24 inches. My buddy told me this site had the best people who would be willing to give me some advice on how to scout the area, hunt it, and possibly where some good deer might be. It gets really discouraging to go out and not see the deer i hear about, so if anyone could offer me up some advice I would really appreciate it. THanks guys

sharpstick
Fawn
Fawn

Re: Discouraged Hunter

Post by sharpstick » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:02 pm

Hey rhunter. Welcome to the muleymadness forum. :thumb This is a great site to gather information and share experiences and I'm sure someone out there will be happy to help you out. I wish I knew more about the WD Vernon unit but I don't. Get on google and look for some water sources and also maybe some green areas that may be crops. Talk to the local fish & game warden for some tips on where to look and do some more scouting in different areas. Scout early and late because that's when deer are on the move. Best of luck on the hunt but most importantly, post some pictures on here when you drop the big buck.
Live simple so others can simply live

AntlersOutWest
4 point
4 point

Post by AntlersOutWest » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:34 pm

Welcome.
I dont know very much about the vernon unit but scouting is my game..
scouting takes long hours and patience.. Early in the morning and before dusk is your best best in seeing animals. They are starting to come out at these times to feed, water and travel to their bedding areas.
Look for sign such as trails, tracks, rubs. Try to figure out where they are bedding, feeding and their habits.

It takes long hours of glassing and you will get the nack of what to look for.. I have heard the vernon unit produces huge animals..
The reason they guys are so big is because they have out smarted the normal hunter.. You need to be sneekeer then they are. Of course they are going to hide well . Thats why they are still around.
Buy a good pair of binos or spotting scope.
It wasnt until this year I forked out the money and got a good pari .. What a differance and well worth every penny.

Good luck. Ill ask a few of my buddies that hunt down there for any info for you.
Antlersoutwest@yahoo.com

ridgetop
Monster
Monster

Post by ridgetop » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:46 pm

Antlersoutwest has given some sound advice but I also have some. You will have to PM me and then I'll give you my phone #. I'll tell you all I know about Vernon but YOU need to make the call. It's funny how I offer this to A LOT of people and 9 out of 10 will not make the call. ](*,) Oh, your one of those 9. Check out my post on Aug.9 after you where asking for help. You really need to make some effort. :>/
There's always next year

IDHunter
2 point
2 point

Post by IDHunter » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:02 pm

The number one thing you could do right now is call Ridge. A little effort on your part and he will get you pointed in the right direction.