Rifle Sight In

Talk anything related to Rifle hunting
jbrower115
Fawn
Fawn

Rifle Sight In

Post by jbrower115 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:01 pm

Hey all,

I'm needin' to sight in a rifle or two, and I've never done it before. Can someone give me a run down on the procedure? Do I need to use the exact same ammo I'll hunt with? Or just a similar bullet weight, type, etc?
Si vis pacem, para bellum: "If you seek peace, prepare for war" And that's why it's called 9mm Parabellum

TheGreatwhitehunter

Re: Rifle Sight In

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:14 pm

You need to sight in with the exact ammo you will be hunting with.
THE LORD IS MY ROCK

CodeRED
3 point
3 point

Post by CodeRED » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:22 pm

Where you located? You'll probably want a shooting range to do it at too. YES, you should use the same ammo for the hunt to sight it in.

1. First step should be to ensure all the sights/scope rings are securely fastened to the gun.
2. Then, bore sighting the gun in comes next - Put a target about 50 yards away from the gun, look through the bore of the rifle (assuming you've got a bolt action rifle) and position the gun until you can see the center of the target trough the bore. Then with the gun braced, line up the scope/sight using the windage/elevation screws on the scope.
3. Then you should be able to dial it in by shooting 3 round groups, just MAKE SURE youre shooting consistently without flinching or anything. Moving the scope windage/elevation as needed after firing each 3 round group.

If youre near a shooting range though, they usually have a sighting service for low cost + your own ammo that they can sight them in for you. This will save your shoulder some much unneeded punishment too! Its like getting a big head start on sighting your gun to your own self and worth it IMO.
"Mathews DXT @ 62lbs, G5 Optix XR, Shaffer rest, Fuse Carbon Connexion stabilizer and G5 Montec CS's in front of GoldTip Prohunter 5575's = More meat in my Freezer"
-Cody-

jbrower115
Fawn
Fawn

Post by jbrower115 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:59 pm

I've got one bolt action and one lever. The lever's got a scope mounted so you can still use the sights, too. I know the bolt's not too inaccurate at about 50 yards cause I popped a yote with it. But the lever was my grandpa's and nobody knows what he did with/to it before he died. I don't know, he mighta dialed it in years ago [-o< [-o<

There are a couple ranges a considerable drive from us, but the closest and cheapest is just a spot off the road in the National Forest that somebody made into a 200+ yards range, totally free.
Si vis pacem, para bellum: "If you seek peace, prepare for war" And that's why it's called 9mm Parabellum

Huge29
2 point
2 point

Post by Huge29 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:52 pm

Good advice already posted! Another option, depending on where you are, may be to have a sun shop boresight it for you. Most will do that for free, which saves bullets and your shoulder. Sometimes in can take a lot of shots, which may make you more prone to flinching and things get bad once that happens.

Loafer
3 point
3 point

Post by Loafer » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:08 pm

You may want to clean the guns before you go.
Uva uvam vivendo varia fit - Augustus McCrae

Buckskin Bandit
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Buckskin Bandit » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:30 am

Once I get a rile "close" I make sure to shoot it cold. when I shoot an animal it's the first shot out of it that day usually and when out on the range you shoot through a warm barrel and it changes the shot some. For my finaly adjustments I shoot once every 15 mins or so - just play with my bow while I wait. May be overkill but it can't hurt!

GUTPYLZ
3 point
3 point

Post by GUTPYLZ » Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:08 pm

A lot of good advice stated above. I would refer to what CodeRed says. The only thing I do different is shoot at 25 yards. This way you're driving nails. Then move out to 50, 100 and so on. This also builds a lot of confidence, which I feel is invaluable.
"Waste Is Unjustified, And Especially The Waste Of Time.
One Must Live, Not Only Exist.
One Must Do, Not Merrily Be.
One Must Grow, Not Vegetate."
SPENCER W. KIMBALL

Buckskin Bandit
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Buckskin Bandit » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:52 am

GUTPYLZ wrote:The only thing I do different is shoot at 25 yards. This way you're driving nails. Then move out to 50, 100 and so on. This also builds a lot of confidence, which I feel is invaluable.
I like that train of thought. Confidence is key, especialy out past 300 yrds. Gonna try that one. Thanks