New Swift 25cal 100gr scirocco

Talk anything related to Rifle hunting
Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

New Swift 25cal 100gr scirocco

Post by Springville Shooter » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:56 pm

Hello fellow rifle hunters
As one of the new members, I wanted to report on a recent hunting trip in which I was able to use some of Swifts new 100gr scirocco bullets in 25 cal. I have always been a huge fan of the quarter bores and am excited to see many bullet companies providing bullets that really make this caliber shine for big game use. A friend who works for swift sent me a box of the new bullets to try out on a pronghorn antelope hunt this year in Utah' s plateau unit. I worked up a load that turned in 1/2MOA groups and cronographed 3450fps out of my custom 25-06AI. With only 100 bullets to work with, I practiced until proficient with the load out to antelope ranges. I was suprised at how well the bullets held true at far-off distances and how predictably they performed in the wind. The 3" group on my metal plate at 500yds was fresh in my mind as I laid down and took aim at a nice buck that was 540yds away. The shot hit the chest cavity low and behind the onside shoulder exiting through the offside shoulder bone breaking it. The buck ran a short distance dragging his leg and fell. The next day, my friend and fellow long range shooter lined up on a buck at 480 with my rifle. We had to compensate a bit for the 10-15mph crosswind, but his hold was good. The bullet blew through the middle of the ribcage absolutely destroying both lungs and damaging the liver. The buck lunged forward and then stood for a moment on shaky legs before falling. What a great opportunity to test these new 100gr bad boys. I believe that these bullets are the answer for those of us who like to carry the flat shooting-accurate 25's for more than Coyotes.
Last edited by Springville Shooter on Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"-----Col. Townsend Whelen

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New Swift 25cal 100gr scirocco

Post by MuleyMadness » Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:18 am

Pretty buck, welcome and thanks for sharing. :thumb

quebechunter
Spike
Spike

Post by quebechunter » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:38 pm

i would definately like a 200 scirrocco to try in my 300 rum. B.C. would be excellent
hope they make 1 someday

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Post by Springville Shooter » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:52 pm

I too would like to see a couple more offerings from swift and I have personally made the 200gr 30 cal suggestion to one of the guys at swift. I like the scirocco bullet and in my experience it is the "toughest" of the plastic tipped bonded lead bullets. I also love the Nosler AB's but I don't think that they hold together as well as similar weight sciroccos. Here is my wishlist: a 230gr 338cal, a 210 323 scirocco, and a bad a-- 7mm 160gr scirocco with a BC around....oh...say .600!
----shooter
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"-----Col. Townsend Whelen