New hampshire moose

Talk anything related to the above listed big game.
PLP
Spike
Spike

New hampshire moose

Post by PLP » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:01 pm

Has anyone here ever hunted there?I got my first priority point this year,so maybe in 3 or 4 years I will have a chance.

Bowedark
Spike
Spike

Re: New hampshire moose

Post by Bowedark » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:03 pm

Not hunted NH. But was drawn as a Nonresident alternate have good chance at a tag. Hunted Vermont 06, lots of bushs have to hunt the log areas.

jerseyelknut
Spike
Spike

Post by jerseyelknut » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:55 am

I hunted with some guys from NH this year, they said it's pretty tough to draw. I actually put in for points in Vermont, Maine and New Hampshire. It's not too expensive and I will bank points for a few years before I start to apply. Good luck.

PLP
Spike
Spike

Post by PLP » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:48 pm

Got my 2nd point now..No one has ever hunted in central NH in the NF?Drove through there?Anything?

NH Hunter
Fawn
Fawn

Post by NH Hunter » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:46 am

Hi PLP,

I just drew a tag this year. Unit M, southeast corner of the state. I live in Unit M so I'll be hunting in my "backyard". My first NH moose tag. I'm a resident and have been applying for a tag or a bonus point for 10 years since I moved here. Moose densities are lower but they are around. 98% of it is shotgun/MZ/bow. In NH you get bonus points so it's still "luck of the draw", never a sure thing. Each bonus point puts your name in the hat another time, but it's still a draw. WMNF is a really pretty place with plenty of moose, but be warned, a lot of it is wilderness area that is VERY rough going. Lot's of hiking trails but a lot are not a cake walk. The undergrowth can be almost impenetrable off the trail. The other deal is a lot of it does not allow motorized vehicles. That mean packing it out on your back. Don't be afraid of hunting off public land. It's not like CO where the biggest hunting violation is hunting on private land w/o written permission. This is New England and private land is legally open for access unless it is specifically posted. Most land in NH is open except in the southern parts of the state that is infested with Massholes....my apologies to our MA sportsmen brethren. Most of New England is open access. It still doesn't hurt to get permission and it is recommended, just not required by law.

I believe the odds of drawing are roughly 1:25 for residents and 1:50 for non-residents. Varies a little year by year but that's close enough. Your odds of success in the draw increases with bonus points and the more units you select and whether or not you will accept a cow tag affect your chances of getting a tag. That means even if your name is picked, if the units you select are full, you don't get the tag. If you only accept a couple of prime units and won't take a cow tag you should expect to wait a long time. Keep in mind there are moose in every unit (and into MA for that matter) and that the lower density units have fewer permitees. The lower part of the state is also either sex.

Good luck in the draw in coming years and keep trying. It's purely luck and you can win with zero points the first year you put in. If you don't play, you can't win. That said, there are people who seem to be very lucky and have drawn numerous times. The other trick is that people put every eligible member of the family in year after year, whether they're true hunters or not. Wife, kids, aunts uncles, grandma, the dog....just kidding about grandma. lol The permitee get's to name their sub-permitee so junior names dad and either can shoot the moose. Both are supposed to be present when the animal is shot. You are supposed to be within sight of each other. I wonder how often that doesn't happen?

As far as where to hunt in the WMNF, I have seen moose in several places. I saw one along 302 between Franconia Notch and Twin Mountain. I've seen them between Gorham and Pinkham Notch on Rt 16. They're all over. You have to be 300 ft off the roads (you and the moose) but I wouldn't wander too far....you gotta carry it out. A good way to scout would be to drive around and look for moose crossing signs and watch along the sides of the road and looks for wet areas that look like a barnyard. The mud will be all tracked up. It's as obvious as the nose on your face. Take a walk back in the woods and take a looksee. It's usually really thick brush and spruce and cedar thickets. It's good to have upland hardwoods nearby also. The season is in October so I think they would still be in that habitat. Plan on getting your feet wet.
Gregg

Elk, Deer, Bear, Turkey...and someday....Moose

Hiker

Post by Hiker » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:05 pm

Gregg,
That is great news. :thumb I hope you kill a monster.
Hiker

Proverbs 3:5-6

PLP
Spike
Spike

Post by PLP » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:53 pm

Thanks Gregg!Good luck to you,and let me know how you do!I plan on waiting as long as it takes,and I am going to wait for a bull.I was going off of success rates and public land available when I was looking at central NH..Didn't know that there was alot of open land up there...Could some low success rates be because some people hold off too long waiting for a biggun..just don't go..or weather messes them up?

I'd be willing to put into any unit if I new there were enough moose for a non resident to stumble on them..I would like to make a friend or two up there..If I were lucky enough to get one..Maybe help me out for some moose meat in turn...A hog hunt down here..Or a steak dinner..lol

NH Hunter
Fawn
Fawn

Post by NH Hunter » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:43 am

Hey PLP,

Sorry it took so long to reply but I'm not on the boards as much lately. I was just over in the southwest part of the state Friday near Keene and it looks mighty moosey over there also. I think any of the units would be a decent draw as long as you do your homework and set aside some time to look around first. I think the low success rates are sometimes due to people who have either-sex tags and pass on a small bull or cow early in the week and don't find their "shooter" bull. I drew unit M which might be the only unit I would not recommend for a NR hunter. The reason is that it's a lot of patchwork areas that are spread out. We have moose within a couple miles of the house but they have to be in a place I can shoot them to be any use to me. We have several in town on the conservation land but it is closed to hunting. Unit M works for me because I should be able to scout and locate a few different areas and move around some. I also have enough friends who hunt and they have friends so I've started the network wheels turning already. There's very little competition for a moose so everyone is willing to share information. There were only 9 tags issued for this unit. Unit L has a lot fewer people so there is more uninterrupted tracts of habitat up there. It would be better for a NR than M. Keep in mind the odds swing a lot year to year in the south because so few tags are issued. If they give out 5 tags each tag is 20%. Very easy to skew the success odds. I don't know if you can count on stumbling onto them. Up north maybe (A1, A2 and the other units up there). I think scouting and networking are key to success. You can do a lot of the pre-scouting work with maps and other info on the internet. I would allow a week before the season to tramp around the woods. It might be good to check out areas during the peak of the rut. You can hear them a long ways away. The state F&G dept will also give quite a bit of help to hunters. They want you to be successful, too. Keep trying for the draw. If I learn some valuable tips this year I'll be sure to pass them along.
Gregg

PLP
Spike
Spike

Post by PLP » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:44 pm

Thanks man!I am considering the northern half of the state.It's going to be a while before I get a tag I am sure..I would like to make a trip one year or even a few trips several years before I go there,to learn the area,and just enjoy the country.Some of the pictures I have seen are very beautiful!

NH Hunter
Fawn
Fawn

Post by NH Hunter » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:34 pm

PLP,

The northern part of the state is probably your best bet. I went fishing the other day and as I was putting the boat in I had to wait for two Conservation Officers to gas up their boat and launch. I walked over to them and asked if they were assigned to part of unit M. They said they were. I had spoken to one of the regional biologists last week and she was going to pass my name and number to the local CO's so I could ask them where they're seeing moose in my unit. It turns out it was these two guys. I took the opportunity to introduce myself and told them I drew a unit M tag and was wondering about where they were seeing moose, particularly bulls.. They told me of a couple of areas and suggested I shoot the first moose I see with 4 legs and a pulse. Cow, calf, whatever. They highly recommended I don't pass on any moose as there aren't a ton of them around and the hunting can be tough. They suggested hunting the power lines in particular. The utilities keep them cut back enough that there is always new growth. Perfect for moose. FWIW, they said unit L is almost as tough to hunt. Moose don't travel long distances here because of the population. They hold to the bigger patches of woods and swamps.
Gregg