Would you guys recommend WY Unit 29?

Talk anything related to Antelope
Bigd7400
Spike
Spike

Would you guys recommend WY Unit 29?

Post by Bigd7400 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:21 pm

I have gotten some good info on antelope units in Wyoming from the boards and I really appreciate it. I'm still in the planning my trip for 2011 and have heard that 25 is pretty good for getting a goat but I was just wondering about Unit 29. It seems to have a good bit of the Thunder Basin Grass land on it with decent access hoping that someone could steer me in the right direction. Not looking for a giant just a buck lope will make me happy. Thanks again for the input.
Dreaming of tall tines a straight shots.

TheGreatwhitehunter

Re: Would you guys recommend WY Unit 29?

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:54 pm

I'm still in the planning my trip for 2011 and have heard that 25 is pretty good for getting a goat
Dont know much about 29.....but 25 has access issues

unless you have good access to public through private or a good amount of private land to hunt I would not bother with unit 25.

I hunted 25 the last few years but my friend sold his ranch.

We did take some great bucks there but, you will need to find a way to access the public and the only walk in area gets pounded and it is only 3000 acres.
THE LORD IS MY ROCK

Bigd7400
Spike
Spike

Post by Bigd7400 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:54 pm

Thanks for the info GWH. This is going to be my first trip to WY do you have any units you would recommend that have decent access and draw odds?

TheGreatwhitehunter

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:02 am

I almost always hunt on private in Wyoming antelope, but there is a lot of good units for antelope hunting, check out the draw odds on the game and fish website.

The walk in and hunter managment areas also offer very good hunting, you can access the info for these on the Wyoming game and fish website.

Good Luck next year.
THE LORD IS MY ROCK

Bigd7400
Spike
Spike

Post by Bigd7400 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:21 am

Thanks again GWH. Its going to be fun no matter what and I can't wait to post some pics with a WY lope (hopefully). There are a lot of tough decisions to make but it definitely sounds like WY is the place to go for lopes so its just a waiting game now.

norcalhunter
Spike
Spike

Post by norcalhunter » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:42 am

I've hunted 29 a few times. It is overcrowded because you can buy antelope doe tags for around $40 and I think you can buy up to 4 of them. You can also buy 2 full price tags and kill 2 bucks. Most of the goats we get are between 11-13 inches, only a few have hit the 14 inch mark. You need to keep a map with you at all times because as soon as the shooting starts the goats know where the private ground is. The public and private land is really checkerboarded on the edges where everything seems to be.

The first couple days is downright scary out there and the animals are really skittish. You can either brave the opener, or hunt a week later hoping everything calms down, which I think it would. Good luck.

skull
Fawn
Fawn

Post by skull » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:59 pm

norcalhunter wrote:I've hunted 29 a few times. It is overcrowded because you can buy antelope doe tags for around $40 and I think you can buy up to 4 of them. You can also buy 2 full price tags and kill 2 bucks. Most of the goats we get are between 11-13 inches, only a few have hit the 14 inch mark. You need to keep a map with you at all times because as soon as the shooting starts the goats know where the private ground is. The public and private land is really checkerboarded on the edges where everything seems to be.

The first couple days is downright scary out there and the animals are really skittish. You can either brave the opener, or hunt a week later hoping everything calms down, which I think it would. Good luck.

exactly what he says
I've hunted 29 in 2008 Too many people
I do not go there ever again :>/