DIY Caribou in AK..

Talk anything related to the above listed big game.
one hunting fool
Monster
Monster

DIY Caribou in AK..

Post by one hunting fool » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:58 pm

OK here's the story. My son is graduating this year. He has always wanted to go caribou hunting so i thought why not try to do it on a budget. (sense with the economy i could not afford it any other way) So i contacted a friend that lives in AK and he started telling me what he knew about caribou in the area. And it turns out that St. Paul is the cheapest route but really not much of a hunt. It would be like siting over a barrel and deciding which fish you wanted to shoot. So i started to put a few options together and let my son choose. After all this is suppose to be a hunt for him and i want him to be in on the decisions. He opted for the (what i feel is our best chance to get what we want out of our experience) “DRIVE” to AK route. I know your thinking the same thing i did. WHAT that's way to far. But my friend in AK has done it a few times to get here and he said its really not bad. With someone to help you drive and stopping every night you can make it in 3 days. And that's with some sight seeing. So 3 days up 3 days back and 4 days hunting, that makes 10 days. Next i thought my car will never make it so i looked into a rental. Even that is do-able Avis will let you take a car to Canada and $70 a day gets you unlimited miles for a mid size SUV. Next the guns across Canadian borders worry. Well for this i called an outfitter friend of mine that i know takes his clients into Canada for Whitetail. He put my mind at rest and so by the time i cross the border (fingers crossed) we will have everything ready. I would do it now but its only good for 60 days and they have to see you sign it. Also there are not problems (as long as you declare and have a valid hunting license) with bringing our meat home. So our final hurtle is finding the best area to harvest a caribou. And i think i have discovered that via the web.. i looked on the Dalton Hwy until i found where the Brooks range was close and found a lake called Toolik Lake. Then i entered that name with caribou and found a few success stories from that area. So now i think i am set.. i will keep you all posted AND anyone that has any knowledge of this area would you please let me know..
Wish us luck..
Brian
Genesis 27:3
Now take your hunting equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out into the open country and hunt some wild game for me.

sneekeepete
Monster
Monster

Re: DIY Caribou in AK..

Post by sneekeepete » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:36 pm

Please do keep us updated. I am looking into doing a similar hunt when I get out of the Marine Corps in 2012 and would love to get all the information out of you that I can. Good luck!!!
SNEEKEEPETE
OIF Vet.
Sgt Petersen USMC
Colossians 1:27,28

hound_hunter
Monster
Monster

Post by hound_hunter » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:23 pm

Impressive work, that's awesome! Lucky kid for sure to have a dad like that. I wish I had any info. for you, but it sounds like you're doing alright anyways. I can't wait to hear how this plays out! Good luck to you, keep us updated!

Sneekeepete, save it for 2013 when I get out and we'll plan it together :thumb

WinMag
3 point
3 point

Post by WinMag » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:32 pm

Sounds like an adventure to remember!! Don't forget to keep us posted with pictures. I've also dreamed of a hunt like you are undertaking, but it remains on the bucket list for now.

muleytex
Fawn
Fawn

Post by muleytex » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:37 pm

Something you might check into!!!! I've driven to and hunted in Alaska in 1997 and 1999. Had a blast. Both where trips of a lifetime. Something you and your boy will remember forever. I have a two and half year old son and would love to consider something like this in 16 years. Anyhow, when I was in Alaska anyplace along the haul road (Dalton Highway) the first five miles off of the road is bowhunting only. Unless you are bowhunting I would highly suggest that you check into this. Also very important,they are going to give you burn at the Canadian border with guns, just be prepared. Call ahead to customs BEFORE you leave and double check to make sure you have any needed paperwork, (Things have changed since 9/11) No pistols at all, period. Also do not take any gun for "protection", they will not let you cross it. I know from experience in 2005 on a site-seeing vacation to Banff Canada. Also the last time when I crossed back into the US the US Customs gave me burn about not having some sort of paperwork on my guns. I can't even remember what it was called, but something that proves you bought the gun in the US prior to leaving the US and are now bringing it back in. That would be a question to call US Customs about. (I'm sure you'll get ten different answers from 10 different "government employees") I may seem sinical, but I'm just trying to help so that your hunt of a lifetime will not be tainted by beurocratic BS. In case you haven't found out you will also need paperwork on any animals that you are transporting through Canada, they will check at the US and Canada border. I think it was called a Cites permit.

On a more positive note, I hunted 100 miles north of the arctic circle on the south slope of the Brooks range. I did a solo moose hunt. I had one burn of a fun trip. I did a drop camp by air. It costs a little more, but I thought it was worth it. I talked to several people where I flew out of (Bettles Air, and they are still in business), and they had flown into Chandalar lake to hunt caribou. They had great success, including a caribou that was going to make Boone and Crockett.

Have a great hunt
We don't rent pigs

PLP
Spike
Spike

Post by PLP » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:21 pm

Great advice muleytex..how is it looking so far one hunting fool?

one hunting fool
Monster
Monster

Post by one hunting fool » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:05 am

Thanks Muleytex. I have looked into all that my self. I had hoped to take the Muzzy up but with the 5 mile rule we are just going to do it Archery style. The trip this year has been postponed but just for a year. My son wanted to use the money he saved to by a car. so we talked about it and he did just that. Now he is saving again and we are looking at next August, around the 7th so we can see the 24 hours of sunlight. this gives me a year to get my old ford up to the trip and save on a rental.
Genesis 27:3
Now take your hunting equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out into the open country and hunt some wild game for me.

LBZ42
Fawn
Fawn

Post by LBZ42 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:43 pm

I lived in Alaska for 4 years and still hunt there I am also planing my own Caribou hunt and if you are looking for ANY info about Alaska you HAVE to check out this web site http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/ I hope you and your son have a great hunt.

Vanish
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Vanish » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:57 pm

My wife's uncle is an Alaska resident. He just did his first Archery trip for Caribou this year up by the Brooks Range, with a friend and his friend's son. It sounds like it was the same trip and time as you would have gone, so in this respect, I think you got lucky!

They had a great trip, with his two friends both getting Caribou, but they had to leave before uncle was able to get one. The reason: it was above 80 degrees. They only got to hunt for two days before they got worried about the meat keeping. They are looking into a portable freezer for next year.

They really enjoyed it, and we want to go in the future, but expanding to five people would mean two vehicles, which changes things drastically.

The uncle is visiting here right now, so you've got about two days to ask me any questions you want me to ask him! :D

fatrooster
3 point
3 point

Post by fatrooster » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:05 pm

in 2004 I was hunting in Northern Idaho and decided to take a day trip accross the border just to look around and be able to tell people I'd been to Canada. I stashed my rifle in the woods in Idaho and drove up to the gate. They asked me a lot of questions with one of them being, "Have you ever been arrested?" I answer truthfully "Yes." The guard told me to park my truck and come inside. Inside they ask for my drivers liscense and sit me in front of a border patrol officers desk who punches you and your history up on a computer and starts asking questions. Well I found out that since I'd been arrested for a DUI back in 1993 I was not allowed to enter Canada. So instead of letting me go back to my truck and turning around and leaving they decide that they are gonna search it. They took every dang thing out of my truck and looked through it and made me out everything back. Why did they have to search my truck if they already knew that they were turning me around? Anyways, when I left I felt like a dirty criminal. I had to go through the American gate to cross back into the US. When I stopped the guard asked me why they wouldn't let me in and I told him because I had gotten a DUI 11 years prior. He laughed and said "Get the burn oughta here!" When I stopped to get my rifle in the woods I kissed the ground and yelled out load, "Its great to be back in the USA!!!!!"
Be aware that any criminal record is looked at differently in Canada than it is in the USA and can keep you from crossing the border. You can submit an application in advance to be reviewed and given a pass but it cost money. In my case it would have cost about $1,000.00.
With all of that being said, I wish you a great trip and look forward to the pictures. fatrooster.