south san rafael sheep

Talk anything related to the above listed big game.
treedagain
2 point
2 point

Re: south san rafael sheep

Post by treedagain » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:06 pm

t
rsz_sam_0008[1].jpg
rsz_sam_0008[1].jpg (79.77 KiB) Viewed 15619 times
this is the canyon my ram had been hanging out in, from the looks of it for most of the summer
rsz_sam_0005[1] (400x300).jpg
rsz_sam_0005[1] (400x300).jpg (53.82 KiB) Viewed 15619 times

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:25 pm

that is awsome!!!

you lucky dog!

treedagain
2 point
2 point

Post by treedagain » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:14 pm

story??? where do i start??? it seems just yesterday that after 17 years of applying i finally drew MY sheep tag here in UT. i spent my summer sweating it out in the desert learning my unit from top to bottom, i spent my time at first learning the roads and different access points, on my my real scouting trip i was lucky to have a well known sheep guide here in Ut show me a few spots and we glassed up my 1st and only sheep of the summer... i am sure that i had been to every spot on the unit that held sheep except for one area by the time the season opened.i finally got to hunt on the wednesday after the opener. i finally was able to dodge the monsoon weather that had blocked my accessing the last area of the unit that i wanted to look at...

after glassing for only about an hour i glasses up a GREAT RAM, the one that i had dreamed about, it was about 1 1/2 hrs until dark when i started my stalk, he was running a ewe about a mile across from where i was glassing....i lost track of him when i dropped into the canyon, when i popped out she was still in the cliffs but he was not..i swung wide to get a better look at where she was and ran into a little ram band the one ram that i saw 6 yr old ram aout 140ish at 30 yrds, when i tried to slip past he spooked and took 3 other sheep with him that i only seen a glimpse of...dang it...over the next 3 weeks i came out on weekends and saw sheep but not the ram of my dreams.

on OCT 11 i left to HUNT for a ram until the end of the hunt if nessacry.....i had the next 3 weeks off and if it did not kill me i was going to get me a ram. on the 12th i glassed another GREAT ram and watched him for about 20 minutes before he dropped into a big canyon. i never bedded him but felt confident he would be there when i got there....well after about 4 hrs of climbing and glassing he was nowhere to be seen....dang IT....after a little self pity session and alot of fluids replaced my brother and i split up to glass the mtn from 2 sides....about 45 min until dark i got a call on the radio from my other brother saying he got off work early and would be in camp shortly, within a few minutes my other brother announced he had found 2 good rams...i met my brother at camp and off we went to see the rams.....we bedded them but never could glass them up the next morning, glassed and glassed....dang IT.....

about noon we split up and to cover more country....after about an hr another call to check out a ram.....my brother didnt know much about scoring rams and thought he MIGHT be a shooter....i put on a stalk and it took me all of about 15 seconds to get in position, range him and put a bullet into him when i finally got a look at him...lol...16 days of scouting, 9 days hunting and it ends......with me putting my tag on a GREAT RAM, a exceptional ram for the unit......as i sit here writing this i can still feel the sun on my face, legs twitching from putting miles on my odometer.....and my heart skips a beat just thinking about the ADVENTURE i had in my pursuit of my desert ram...it is funny that i spent my summer looking over the unit and spent all my hunting time in the last place i looked...oh well...
rsz_sam_0023[1].jpg
rsz_sam_0023[1].jpg (70.97 KiB) Viewed 15616 times

treedagain
2 point
2 point

Post by treedagain » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:26 pm

more pics
rsz_sam_0032[1].jpg
rsz_sam_0032[1].jpg (103.64 KiB) Viewed 15616 times
rsz_sam_0037[1].jpg
rsz_sam_0037[1].jpg (77.3 KiB) Viewed 15616 times

waspocrew
4 point
4 point

Post by waspocrew » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:56 pm

Beautiful ram! Congrats on a great hunt.... I can't wait to chase one of those someday!

Tyewire
2 point
2 point

Post by Tyewire » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:14 am

Thanks for taking the time. Man what a awesome hunt and ram. I know how you feel!! Congratulations.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

treedagain
2 point
2 point

Post by treedagain » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:56 pm

tyewire....your ram is awesome...you did good