Alaska...

Talk anything related to the above listed big game.
shmobag
Spike
Spike

Alaska...

Post by shmobag » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:34 pm

Hey all,
Im in the military stationed in Utah, but i just received orders to move to Fairbanks area in Alaska. I return from Afghanistan in September then i need to be in AK by Dec. 1. Im just looking for any hunting advice for the area. any and all input will be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance,
Jeremy

jon.causey
Fawn
Fawn

Re: Alaska...

Post by jon.causey » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:01 pm

hey man
in the same situation u are in im just comen from colorado and going to anchorage. well if u could pass on anything it would be much apreciated.
also if u looking for a hunting partner let me know.
thanks
jon

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:51 pm

The best advise I could give you is to make local friends--

If I was in your shoes now(that I'm older and start to think about things I "wish I would have done when I had the chance") i'd say make sure you go out of your way to take advantage of your time up there. Don't waist a week off, make sure you go hunting caribou,moose, wolf etc...

If you ask around once your up there you'll get some places to check out.

I wish I could help you, but when I went moose hunting in AK, I was 20 miles in the backountry out of tok.
Good luck and have fun!

ABert

Post by ABert » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:22 pm

Best advice I can give both of you...

Join the BPOE, as in the Elks Lodge. Great group of folks that would be more than willing to help ANY service member in whatever their endevours.
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.

one hunting fool
Monster
Monster

Post by one hunting fool » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:06 pm

I had done some checking on hunting in AK, I found that the Dalton highway is archery only for caribou for 5 miles in either side. i also found that it is a great place for grizz past the artic circle. get with the local fish and game and get the full run down on regulations. AK is a big state and there are strict regs in hunting zones. Good luck.
Genesis 27:3
Now take your hunting equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out into the open country and hunt some wild game for me.

shmobag
Spike
Spike

Post by shmobag » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:11 pm

Thanks all for your replies. sorry it took so long to reply back i was stuck in Afghanistan. Im most definitely going to try to make as many local friends as possibly. and i wont waste a single second when i could be in the wilderness. @Abert, ill check about the BPOE. thanks for that advice.