Tyewires Sheep hunt 2011

Talk anything related to the above listed big game.
Tyewire
2 point
2 point

Tyewires Sheep hunt 2011

Post by Tyewire » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:37 pm

Well, I can't believe it is over. Over a hundred miles rowed in 13 days and countless miles on our feet! All the prep and time that goes into a trip like this is amazing in its self.

With some good advise from past hunters (Killerbee), we decided to prefloat the river the week before the season. This ended up being the best idea of the trip.
We put in up river far enough not to miss any sheep country at all. Our findings were surprising :-k . Not very many sheep in the so called "Prime areas"Image
Trying to keep a positive attitude, even though every time I even glanced at the other side of the river a ram stood looking at me as if to say " You got the wrong tag sucker" #-o ImageImage
Finally, down river a not far from the end we started seeing sheep on my side of the river on a regular basis. We finally spotted a ram that I just had to have. He was old and heavy and had lots of character.

This is him.Image
Dan, and my Brother
My Dad and Son

So with expectations high we rowed out and got a motel in Biggs Junction and meet the rest of the hunting crew. My wife, 10yr. old son, and good friend Dan.

My wife and I

So with scouting report in hand we jumped back into the river two days before the season started. The plan was to row as far as we could and camp while looking from the river and hiking in the evenings to confirm our scouting from the week before. With the same results, no sheep up river. So we pressed on down the river.
My boys first steel head.
Opening day ended with no sheep spotted on our side. Then on day two of the hunt we started seeing sheep again right were we had in the prefloat. But still I did not see the ram I wanted. So we pressed on down the river with hopes of getting on the old ram I saw from the week before.

Hoot Owl Rock

The gamble of course is the sheep I wanted was at the end of the float. So if we did not find him I would be floating the river for a third time with just two of us.

On the third morning I found myself checking out some sheep that my Dad and wife had spotted the night before. Still, not the one I wanted. While thoughts of a third float in my head. Wondering how it would all work out, my dad spots a group of sheep down river. We put the scope on them and there was my old buddy :))

So Dad and I grabbed a raft and headed down river after him. After 9 hours of cat and mouse I had my ram right where I wanted him.

This is him at 150 yard just before the shot.

After the hugs and tears from my dad we made our way down to my ram. He is 10 1/2 or 11 1/2 years old the biologist told me. He had little to no fat on him at all. He has scares all over his face and probably would not make it another winter. The true markings of a old majestic ram. I could not be happier with him. He tapes out at 161 and 2/8. Honestly, I could care less.... To share this with the man who taught me to hunt was the best moment in my hunting life. :not-worthy And to have my son and wife there as well. It is hard to put into words.
I am truly blessed...

Oh, have you ever rafted the John Day river at night? I highly recommend it! :thumb
ImageImageImageImageImage

This is us getting loaded to float down to our new camp a half mile in the dark!
Last edited by Tyewire on Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

ridgetop
Monster
Monster

Re: Tyewires Sheep hunt 2011

Post by ridgetop » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:42 am

Great story and awesome pictures. Glad you had a great time with friends and family. 160" Cali. ram is like shooting a 190" mule deer, you did real good. :thumb
There's always next year

sneekeepete
Monster
Monster

Post by sneekeepete » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:52 am

10sign:
Awesome Ram and story. What an experience with your family along too. Congrats and thank you for taking the time to share!!!
SNEEKEEPETE
OIF Vet.
Sgt Petersen USMC
Colossians 1:27,28

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:38 am

thats an awsome ram! it looks like you took full advantage of that once in a lifetime tag! congradulations!!
now all you have to worry about is figuring out a way to do it again someday:) 10sign: 10sign:

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:38 pm

10sign: 10sign: One of the best threads on here all year. Simply awesome, I think those big ole rams are some of the coolest big game animals alive. Simply AWESOME. Thanks a bunch for posting and taking us along the float trip. That ram is incredible.

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:10 pm

i just got off work and had to read it again- man that was a fun hunt! thats super awsome your boy getting to be their and also getting to catch his first steelhead!

if i was to bet, i'd say when the sheep hunts are all over, your ram will probably be one of the oldest, if not THE oldest ram killed. that it'self is pretty awsome!

congrats again, and thanks for sharing- this post just brings back great memories of are hunt last year!
Last edited by killerbee on Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tyewire
2 point
2 point

Post by Tyewire » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:26 pm

Ya I think that is the thing I am most proud of. Have you heard from the other guys? I'm real curious to see how they did. I hope they had great hunts as well.

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:47 pm

i did just get an update-- the west side guys, finally killed a mid to upper 150's ram on friday at the palisades, with the rifle. nate simmons got it all on video so we should get to watch it later this spring

the other east side guy , as of saturday, still hasnt killed a sheep, he was at hoot owl and still looking.

Tyewire
2 point
2 point

Post by Tyewire » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:38 pm

Hoot Owl is where the sheep hunting started for us. They should be in them now. Thanks for the update.

waspocrew
4 point
4 point

Post by waspocrew » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:55 am

Thanks for sharing! That is such an awesome story... love the pictures as well. You killed yourself a GREAT ram!