Tyewires Sheep hunt 2011

Talk anything related to the above listed big game.
Muddybuck
Fawn
Fawn

Re: Tyewires Sheep hunt 2011

Post by Muddybuck » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:58 am

Tyewire thanks for the story thats very interesting about the location of the sheep. definately not what all the bios tell you. I wander if the rut had something to do with that? Anyway good hunting on your part for finding a stud ram like that one givin the conditions and great tip from killer if you had not have done the prefloat you might have been hunting 20 miles of river with no sheep all week long. Great job!!

Tyewire
2 point
2 point

Post by Tyewire » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:08 am

Muddybuck wrote:Tyewire thanks for the story thats very interesting about the location of the sheep. definately not what all the bios tell you. I wander if the rut had something to do with that? Anyway good hunting on your part for finding a stud ram like that one givin the conditions and great tip from killer if you had not have done the prefloat you might have been hunting 20 miles of river with no sheep all week long. Great job!!

I think that is what the other tag holder is finding out right now. I am sure glad I didn't listen to the people who told me a prefloat was a waste of time, due to the fact they move around so much. My findings where that there are traveling rams looking for ewes but they were all 140 to 150 class sheep. The bigger ones where with the ewes and in the same areas a week later. So yes, I agree the rut I believe was the main factor.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

derekp1999
4 point
4 point

Post by derekp1999 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:06 pm

Congrats Tyewire, impressive ram. That sounds like an amazing adventure and well shared with friends and family. Great read and fantastic pics, too, big thanks for sharing.
“The consequences of our actions are always so complicated, so diverse, that predicting the future is a very difficult business indeed.”
-Albus Dumbledore

Tonoonyi
3 point
3 point

Post by Tonoonyi » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:39 pm

Congratulations, that is a great story and I am sure a memory that will last you and your family a lifetime. 10sign:
Keep your nose in the wind and your eyes along the skyline.

Muddybuck
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Muddybuck » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:22 am

Tyewire I had to take a look at your ram again and its confirmed dang he's still a stud of a ram nice job. So what made you float at night just out of curiosity?

Tyewire
2 point
2 point

Post by Tyewire » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:06 pm

Muddybuck wrote:Tyewire I had to take a look at your ram again and its confirmed dang he's still a stud of a ram nice job. So what made you float at night just out of curiosity?

The ram was down river from where we camped. So when we took off to make a stock our boat was a mile down river. So the option was to leave the sheep and hike back to the camp up river or have the rest of the crew float past us and find a new camp. That way when we got the sheep out we could float down to the new camp. :thumb I killed him at 3:30 so it was dark buy the time we got him to the river.

Is there a such thing as "post sheep hunting syndrome" ? I think I have it lol

ridgetop
Monster
Monster

Post by ridgetop » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:38 am

Tyewire wrote: Is there a such thing as "post sheep hunting syndrome" ? I think I have it lol
Yes there is and I have it too. I wanted to go out with the hunters real bad this year on my unit. I was out there on opening day but it was snowing so hard, it was hard to see anything. Both hunters got their rams before I could get back out there. I was planning on going out today and get some video of head butting rams but another big storm has moved in. ](*,)
There's always next year

Tyewire
2 point
2 point

Post by Tyewire » Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:21 pm

That is cool you live close to be able to check them out! That was one of the most amazing things to me to see. Man, do they get after each other. I saw one ram with a broke leg, another with blood running down his face and we spotted a dead one below a bluff. I watch two ram try and kill each other for about an hour. They hit each other where ever and how ever they could to get back on a hot ewe. I all ways thought they squared of like a couple gentlemen but not what I witnessed.

Maybe there is a 10 step program or something..

ridgetop
Monster
Monster

Post by ridgetop » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:34 pm

I saw the same thing with a lot of "cheap shots" being taken. I would not be surprised at all to find out that many of the rams end up with broken ribs.
There's always next year

a_bow_nut

Post by a_bow_nut » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:27 am

That is one great looking ram.

Thanks for taking us along on the adventure.
Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell
the difference.