Anyone with moose experience? SUCCESS...WITH PICS!!!

Talk anything related to the above listed big game.
SHANE(WA)
Spike
Spike

Re: Anyone with moose experience? SUCCESS...WITH PICS!!!

Post by SHANE(WA) » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:01 pm

THANK YOU, I will get a story up shortly, I have been elbow deep in cutting up the moose, 500 lbs of meat!

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:42 am

WOW! what a great moose! that is awsome. congrats to you :thumb

SHANE(WA)
Spike
Spike

Post by SHANE(WA) » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:47 am

okay story, Day 1 comes, we have an amazing weather to start, over cast 40's and dead calm.We walk to a vantage point looking at a face of a mountain to glass and listen for moose, we get there, not even 2 min, we here 2 maybe 3 bull moose grunting in creek bottom below, they are going nuts. We cant see them! finally after about 15 min we spot one at 500 yards, its a big bull, close to 50" wide, big paddles and long. We decided to go after him, we drop off road and headup to the other side, hoping to make it to a logging road below him and call. We get to 23 yards of the rd and the bull is on it! he heard us walking over there and came to us! all we can see is paddles and glimpses of moose 10 min go by standoff, we decided to back down the hill skirt it and come up, he follows, now at 30 yards, can only see antlers, dang it.He loses interest and walks straight away, he wouldnt turn for a shot till he was 80 yards! ( I am bowhunting) he then side hills road, we follow below keeping him in sight, he then moved higher we went higher, finaly we get him at 50 yards broadside and he turns and gets out of sight and walks up the mountain, we decided to run up there and hopefully be in range when popped over, arrow knocked, camera on we come over rise ready to shoot, HUNTERS! rifle moose hunters, bull saw them and spooked into open, the tag holder was a 16 yr old kid, kid shot the bull. 2 1/2 hrs chasing this moose! oh well thats hunting. we filmed them with the moose helped move into postion for pics and take pics. Cool experience for sure. We moved on down the road and called,hearing another bull and cow we stalked in, bull wasnt what I was wanting, single fronts and not super big. Rest of the day was uneventfull and we were beat!

Next day came and so did the weather extremely windy and raining hard, we went to a new spot and glassed, saw 3 cows and a calf and 1 small bull. We decided to leave this spot and scout another, turned out to be another dead spot. We were waiting for a buddy to meet us in the afternoon to ride up to another spot on quads, at about 3 we met and headed up, we were beat and dejected now. We unloaded and headed up road, we cut off onto a spur road and walked down it, super quiet and cool, blowing fog it was an ideal evening things looked good, but no moose or sounds. We decided to head farther around the basin when my buddy said moose, there was a cow and calf standing below us at 50 yards, we got the camera out decided to get footage of them, i grabbed my moose call and decided to grunt at the cows to see what they would do.This is where it got interesting in a hurry!! 1 grunt and 10 yards behind the cow the foilage began to move, it was a big bull bedded behind them the whole time, things were flying now, trying to get bow off pack, bull was standing at 57 yards,but a hard quartering at us shot, we waited and waited, 10 min! the cow decided to start moving off, the bull took 1 step to his left and was now completely broadside, I drew my X force lowered my 60 yrd pin and let her go the arrow hit is mark perfectly, bull froze and coughed, he then walked about 6 yards offering another shot at 62 quartering away, I sent another for good measure, it found its mark 3" from the other shot, bull staggered and fell over right there! We got it all on film, an amazing hunt! both arrows were complete pass thrus, one burried in a stump! love those shuttle T locs. massive holes
pic of the other bull we almost got day 1
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa13 ... 487824.jpg

some pics of mine
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa13 ... C00943.jpg
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa13 ... C00979.jpg

TheGreatwhitehunter

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:16 am

Great looking Shiras Moose =D>
THE LORD IS MY ROCK

Ride
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Ride » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:27 am

Awesome bull! Glad you got your moose. Sounds like a good hunt.