help

Talk anything related to predators.
therookie
Spike
Spike

help

Post by therookie » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:27 pm

Looking for somewhere thats not too long of a drive from slc valley to hunt some coyotes. Anyone gotta spot?

jarvis243
Fawn
Fawn

Re: help

Post by jarvis243 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:00 am

Doubt your gonna have anybody just come and tell you about there spot to hunt. Your best bet is to just go and start trying in some places. You can find them almost anywhere.

therookie
Spike
Spike

Post by therookie » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:00 pm

Im not asking for anyones exact honey hole just a mountain that is close to the valley that would work

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Post by Springville Shooter » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:41 pm

The good news is that there are coyotes on every mountain on both sides of the valley. I would try out in the Lakeside area, or south of Toole in the valleys and foothills. Get out and look for tracks. Don't call too much, glass alot from high spots paying close attention to the wind. Good luck.---------SS
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"-----Col. Townsend Whelen

Shags1
Spike
Spike

Post by Shags1 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:26 am

Don't skyline yourself as you approach or leave your stands. Use washes, ditches, ravines, gullies, whatever low spots you can to access a stand. Coyotes do the same, for the same reason. When you get setup, be absolutely still. Coyotes have good eyes, they'll pick up the sun reflection off your gun from several hundred yards (ask me how I know). Hunt with the wind at your back, This sounds weird, but coyotes will almost always try and circle downwind to catch a scent of whatever they are hunting (sound coming from your caller). If you set up with a clearing out in front of you and the wind at your back, you stand a good chance to get a clear shot in the clearing when he circles. AND NEVER shoot at a rabbit or crow after calling for coyotes. Chances are you educated the one you didn't see coming in. Be patient, sometimes you'll be calling something in from a mile or so out. It'll take it some time to get there. I've been really successful 45 minutes to an hour into a stand. (Especially huntung in Utah) Hope that helps, good luck, it's not an easy thing to do.

one hunting fool
Monster
Monster

Post by one hunting fool » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:34 am

go to bountiful there are lots of yotes in the hills above the houses. make sure your in 1 mile and start calling
Genesis 27:3
Now take your hunting equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out into the open country and hunt some wild game for me.