$50 Bounty on coyotes?

Talk anything related to predators.
Shags1
Spike
Spike

Re: $50 Bounty on coyotes?

Post by Shags1 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:17 pm

bigtime9 wrote:Understand completely, sounds to me like maybe that money would be better served improving habitat.

Another interesting and good point. Instead of bribing law makers, put it to work in some other way.

a_bow_nut

Post by a_bow_nut » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:01 pm

I am glad to say that there are habitat projects going on all over the state but people are not willing to wait the years that it takes for the improvment to have an effect.
Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell
the difference.

stillhunterman
2 point
2 point

Post by stillhunterman » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:52 am

Yeah, the bill's wording was changed last minute before passing. It was indeed initially intended for bounties, but due to political "correctness and logistics", it became a more targeted coyote control effort. More than likely there will not be a 50 bounty for those of us who chase the dogs. Instead, the Division will interview and allow certain tiers of hunters to kill the yotes in targeted areas and targeted times. These hunters will have to be approved and may even be under contract when all is said and done. My guess would be the lions share of the money will be spent with aerial gunning of the critters during fawning and when the yotes are most vulnerable to reduction in numbers. Will it help? Doubt it but it might. Could the money be better spent on other projects such as finding out exactly why our fawns are dieing before they make it through their first year? Yep. Will be interesting to see how things turn out.

Shags1
Spike
Spike

Post by Shags1 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:26 pm

stillhunterman wrote:Yeah, the bill's wording was changed last minute before passing. It was indeed initially intended for bounties, but due to political "correctness and logistics", it became a more targeted coyote control effort. More than likely there will not be a 50 bounty for those of us who chase the dogs. Instead, the Division will interview and allow certain tiers of hunters to kill the yotes in targeted areas and targeted times. These hunters will have to be approved and may even be under contract when all is said and done. My guess would be the lions share of the money will be spent with aerial gunning of the critters during fawning and when the yotes are most vulnerable to reduction in numbers. Will it help? Doubt it but it might. Could the money be better spent on other projects such as finding out exactly why our fawns are dieing before they make it through their first year? Yep. Will be interesting to see how things turn out.
Well that's interesting. Knowing what I know about the SFW involvement in this, wouldn't it be wild to see a few of their "select" few hunters chosen under contract to collect the big bounty? JMO

zachvu
Spike
Spike

Post by zachvu » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:27 pm

At least they're past the "it's lion and bear killing all the deer fawns, let's wipe em out" phase. But all in all it's pretty sad how much control the Sportsmen for the Wealthy really have!!

castnshoot
Spike
Spike

Post by castnshoot » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:45 pm

I heard that a guy turned in over 50 Coyotes in Cedar the other day and collected $50 apiece on them. It looks like a pretty simple online test and application form to get in on it.

http://wildlife.utah.gov/dwr/hunting/hu ... ogram.html

I think for 2012 they have enough money to pay for 16,000 Coyotes @ $50 per head. Here is a quote from the DWR website.

"""The DWR expects to have enough funding to provide reimbursement for all coyotes. However, a finite amount of money has been""" appropriated. If reimbursements deplete all of the funds, the program will be suspended unless alternative funding is found or until the next fiscal year. Notices will be posted online if the program has to be suspended for any reason.