$50 Bounty on coyotes?

Talk anything related to predators.
Shags1
Spike
Spike

$50 Bounty on coyotes?

Post by Shags1 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:07 pm

Does anyone have information on the new bounty on dogs in UT?

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: $50 Bounty on coyotes?

Post by MuleyMadness » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:26 pm

Info below is all I know...

New laws to control predators

Frequently asked questions

Our offices have received many phone calls and questions about Utah's new laws to control coyotes and other predators. This page addresses the most common questions. Please keep in mind that this information is subject to change and may be updated at any time. We encourage you to check back on a regular basis for the latest updates.

What predator-related legislation passed in 2012?
The Utah Legislature passed two predator-related bills in 2012. The first bill, Predator Control Funding (Senate Bill 87), adds a $5 fee to all Utah big game hunting permits. The money will fund a program to control populations of predatory animals that endanger the health of Utah's non-predatory wildlife.

The second bill, Mule Deer Protection Act (Senate Bill 245), allocates general funding to the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources ($500,000) and the Utah Department of Agriculture and Food ($250,000). The legislation directs our agencies to work together — and with other government entities — to administer programs that reduce and control coyote populations, particularly in areas where predation of mule deer occurs.

When did the new laws go into effect?
Governor Gary Herbert signed both bills into law on March 17, and the funding will be available on July 1, 2012.

When will the $5 fee be added to the cost of big game permits?
The $5 fee for predator control will be added to all big game permits, starting with the 2012 antlerless permits and any remaining big game permits sold after July 1, 2012.

How will the new predator-control program work?
We are working with sportsmen, the Utah Department of Agriculture and Food and USDA-Wildlife Services to coordinate and implement an effective predator-control program. Our goal is to develop a program that will target coyotes (and other predators) in the right places — and at the right times of year — to reduce the impact they have on mule deer populations. As soon as the program details are finalized, we will send out a news release and post the information on our website.

Do these new laws raise the coyote bounty to $50?
The laws themselves do not increase the bounties that counties pay for coyotes. The new predator-control program may include an increased bounty on coyotes, but details have not yet been finalized. For now, bounty amounts remain unchanged in counties that offer coyote-bounty programs.

http://wildlife.utah.gov/dwr/hunting/hu ... mation/762

Shags1
Spike
Spike

Post by Shags1 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:12 pm

I just found that same info on the DWR website. I wonder why the news stations reported it as an increase in the bounty amount, when the DWR's statement says it doesn't?????

one hunting fool
Monster
Monster

Post by one hunting fool » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:35 am

well I can say it was proposed as a bounty increase and the $5 was proposed as a way to help the state recoop some of that expense. but it seems the DWR has other plans now.
Genesis 27:3
Now take your hunting equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out into the open country and hunt some wild game for me.

a_bow_nut

Post by a_bow_nut » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:18 pm

Shags1 wrote:I wonder why the news stations reported it as an increase in the bounty amount, when the DWR's statement says it doesn't?????
POLITIICAL AGENDA.

Pure and simple. "Look at what we are doing to help our deer herds." Well kind of in a round about way.

To me it has a smell of SFW on it.
Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell
the difference.

bigtime9
Fawn
Fawn

Post by bigtime9 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:42 pm

Do they have a problem getting people to hunt coyotes out there? If you put a bounty on them here you wouldnt be able to find one. Everybody and their dog already chases them year round out here.

a_bow_nut

Post by a_bow_nut » Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:24 am

bigtime9 wrote:Do they have a problem getting people to hunt coyotes out there? If you put a bounty on them here you wouldnt be able to find one. Everybody and their dog already chases them year round out here.
No they don't have a problem getting people to hunt dogs out here this whole thing is the latest band wangon attempt to save the mule deer herds. Certain people come in talking big saying that they have the latest and greatest plans and that they have fixed everything but when you look into it the truth is far from what we were told.

Funny how that works isn't it?
Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell
the difference.

bigtime9
Fawn
Fawn

Post by bigtime9 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:00 am

Understand completely, sounds to me like maybe that money would be better served improving habitat.

Shags1
Spike
Spike

Post by Shags1 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:14 pm

To me it has a smell of SFW on it.

It had everything to do with them. I went the Sportsman's show this year and in the SFW mag, they have an article in it how they are proposing to law makers the bounty increase. I also asked one of the local members here, how much money they threw at politicians, and he said he didn't know the amount, but he knew it was a boat load.

Shags1
Spike
Spike

Post by Shags1 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:15 pm

bigtime9 wrote:Do they have a problem getting people to hunt coyotes out there? If you put a bounty on them here you wouldnt be able to find one. Everybody and their dog already chases them year round out here.

AGREED!!!!