Shotgun Question

Ducks, Geese, Turkeys, Quail, Chickens, Grouse, Doves, etc.
79Ford
Monster
Monster

Shotgun Question

Post by 79Ford » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:54 pm

I have a Browning B-2000 12ga that I want to use for duck hunting. It has a full choke and requires a new barrel to change the choke. I looked on the browning website to see what they say about shooting steel shot with the full choke and this is what it says.

Question:
Can I shoot steel shot in my Browning shotgun?
Answer:
All current Browning shotguns with the Invector or Invector-Plus choke tube system are fully steel shot compatible with current factory loads. However, there are limitations to the compatibility of many older Browning shotguns with conventionally choked barrels. In certain models, shooting steel shot may cause a slight "ringe bulge" just inches behind the muzzle. The damage to your gun is purely cosmetic, but the "bulge" can be a factor in resale, especially with collector-grade shotguns.

Accordingly, our recommendations concerning the use of steel shot in Browning shotguns is as follows:

1. WILL ACCEPT ALL CURRENT FACTORY STEEL SHOT LOADS: All Browning shotguns with the Invector choke or Invector-Plus tube systems, However, we do not recommend the use of Invector full or extra full chokes with steel shot. They pattern too tightly, and sometimes result in a "blown" pattern.
2. WILL ACCEPT ALL CURRENT FACTORY STEEL SHOT LOADS EXCEPT THOSE WITH T, F, BB AND BBB SIZE SHOT: The B-2000 and B-80 shotguns with conventional chokes (Non-Invector)
3. DO NO USE ANY STEEL SHOT LOADS: The Belgian-made A-5, Superposed, Leige, and other Belgian Over/Under models, Double Automatic, American-made A-5 and all other models not listed in category 1 or 2. Note: Belgian Auto-5 barrels are interchangeable with the new Invector barrels which are made in Japan. With this new Invector barrel installed on the Belgian-made Auto-5 receiver, steel shot loads can be used.

DAMAGE: In not all, but a number of instances a very slight ring will develop about 1 1/2" to 3" rearward of the muzzle. This ring is about .005 of an inch above the plane of the barrel, completely encircling the barrel. From our tests we could determine no adverse effect on pattern or shot velocity because of this ring. Our conclusion is that the most significant objection, the slight ring, is entirely cosmetic. This "ring" effect does not affect the function or safety of the firearm.

The way I read it is that I can shoot steel as long as it's smaller shot and any damage will be purely cosmetic. Maybe I am reading it wrong, but i wanted to get some input before going out in the field with it.

wingmaster36
2 point
2 point

Re: Shotgun Question

Post by wingmaster36 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:20 pm

The official answer is no steel in any fixed full choke by any manufacturer, but with that said I have shot several hundred steel loads through an older belgian a5 magnum without any noticeable damage other than the lead patterns seemed to be looser. I have seen barrels with a noticeable dark ring when viewed from the chamber end which I assume to be from the choke being stretched a bit. I would stay with smaller shot such as 3's and 4's as they will compact a little easier than larger sizes.
"The things that are over my head are under God's feet." Adrian Rogers

chet
Monster
Monster

Post by chet » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:48 pm

just shoot lead..... its ok cuz your gun is old and "grandfathered" in lol

79Ford
Monster
Monster

Post by 79Ford » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:17 pm

chet wrote:just shoot lead..... its ok cuz your gun is old and "grandfathered" in lol
If only, if only.

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:10 am

chet wrote:just shoot lead..... its ok cuz your gun is old and "grandfathered" in lol
:)) :)) :)) :))
thats funny!

NONYA
Monster
Monster

Post by NONYA » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:18 pm

I wouldnt recommend it,you will eventually see some damage.You need to use hevishot or another soft alloy.

Don Fischer
3 point
3 point

Post by Don Fischer » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:53 pm

I don't know but can't a Briley be installed in it and wouldn't that fix the problem?

chet
Monster
Monster

Post by chet » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:24 am

I don't know but can't a Briley be installed in it and wouldn't that fix the problem?
I think it would be cheaper to buy a replacement barrel that has a choke system

79Ford
Monster
Monster

Post by 79Ford » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:12 pm

chet wrote:
I think it would be cheaper to buy a replacement barrel that has a choke system
I priced a used barrel with a modified choke and it accepts 3" shells for about $120-$150. No idea what a briley is but i'll look into it. I've also looked into having a local gunsmith machine and tap my current barrel so I can change out chokes, but I didn't have my shotgun with me at the time so they wouldnt give me a price (probably more than a new shotgun).