What do you use for a GPS

Optics, cameras, tents, boots, binoculars, spotting scopes & other gear.
bigtime9
Fawn
Fawn

What do you use for a GPS

Post by bigtime9 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:44 pm

I'm in the market for a new GPS, I've been using a older Garmin rhino 120 for the last few years and decided I need to upgrade. The big problem is I'm what you would call technologically challenged, the big reason it took me so long to join the site ](*,) What do you all use?

TahoeRy
Fawn
Fawn

Re: What do you use for a GPS

Post by TahoeRy » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:59 pm

I use the GPSmap 60 csx from garmin, and I love it. The don't make this exact model anymore. They upgraded it and now its the GPSmap 62. I can tell you that any modern GPS is going to have a slight learning curve to it but once you learn how to mark your waypoints and download your data, they are priceless. Typically, I will plot an area that I want to scout / hunt from satellite images. I will take the coordinates from an area I want to get into and input them into my GPS. Then I navigate using those coordinates into the area. I feel safer and like I know an area really well this way because I have viewed the satellite imagery. I will know in what direction certain landmarks are based on what I saw on the images. Some modern GPS units from Garmin even have a feature called "birdseye" and basically it will show you the satellite image right on your GPS while in the field. That is what I want next in a GPS.

a_bow_nut

Post by a_bow_nut » Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:14 am

I still love my rino 120's.

Guess that I am challenged too?
Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell
the difference.

Shags1
Spike
Spike

Post by Shags1 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:31 pm

I too use the Rino 120. Love it. I think it's cool that I can send a location from my radio to another or vice versa. Works great for spot and stalk situations where stealth is key. GPS plus 2-way in one convenient package. Keep what ya got, IMO.

bigtime9
Fawn
Fawn

Post by bigtime9 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:04 pm

I like my rhino but teh location and radio really don't do me any good cause the guys I hunt with use a regular gps.

30Ultra
Fawn
Fawn

Post by 30Ultra » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:17 pm

I had an old E-Trex Legend for years. Last fall I bought a Garmin GPS Map 62S and love it. I ordered a micro SD card of Colorado for it and used the heck out of it elk hunting. The new chip has the unit boundries,GMU land & Private land boundries. Like I said,I gave it a good working out and was very happy with both pieces.

bigtime9
Fawn
Fawn

Post by bigtime9 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:52 pm

That sounds great, what did it set you back chip and all? Also where did you find your chip? I have looked online but got tired of reading specs.

30Ultra
Fawn
Fawn

Post by 30Ultra » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:03 pm

I picked up the 62S at Gander Mountain on sale for $360.00 before tx last Aug. They are hanging right around $400.00 now I believe.
http://www.huntinggpsmaps.com/states/co ... loads.html Is where I got the mini SD card for Colorado. There are other western states available also. Under $100.00 for any of several models.

bigtime9
Fawn
Fawn

Post by bigtime9 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:16 pm

Thanks I appreciate it.

Shags1
Spike
Spike

Post by Shags1 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:19 pm

bigtime9 wrote:I like my rhino but teh location and radio really don't do me any good cause the guys I hunt with use a regular gps.

Sounds like they should upgrade to a Rino. lol