Packable Spotting Scope - suggestions

Optics, cameras, tents, boots, binoculars, spotting scopes & other gear.
TahoeRy
Fawn
Fawn

Packable Spotting Scope - suggestions

Post by TahoeRy » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:46 pm

I have looked in the forums and saw post's about spotting scopes but everybody usually has their mind made up on two similar scopes. I would like to know what the forum guys are carrying into the field to scout and locate. I will be hiking with it so every ounce counts and I need great magnification, at least a 20x - 60x, due to the areas I hunt in. I bought a cheap Simmons ($100) this year and it SUCKS! My eyes were straining while I was watching a great bachelor group this year and as soon as the sun started to go down, the scope was black. My buddy was using a 15 year old Bushnell and got an extra half hour of viewing in. I don't want to spend over a grand, preferably around $500 +/-, if its possible. I found that a good spotting scope is mandatory for where I hunt if I really want to find the deer, and trust me, I DO!

What are your thoughts?

huntwithme2
Fawn
Fawn

Re: Packable Spotting Scope - suggestions

Post by huntwithme2 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:54 pm

i bought a nikon ed 50 an really like it . it's small and i traded someone for a 10x-30x that works better than the 16x that it came with. it was a refurbished moel from natchez. i was told that when they get it back the company goes through it from top to bottom. the garrentee is the same acept you pay $20.00 to have it fixed. i paid 375 for it last year.

TahoeRy
Fawn
Fawn

Post by TahoeRy » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:52 pm

Nice, thanks for the response. I am also looking at those Nikon ED50's. Are they pretty heavy in your pack?

DeadI

Post by DeadI » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:22 am

Look at the Vortex line. I love my Nomad.
Deadi

ridgetop
Monster
Monster

Post by ridgetop » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:33 pm

I really love my Leupold 15x30-50mm compact scope. Very lightweight and sells for around $500.00.
There's always next year

TahoeRy
Fawn
Fawn

Post by TahoeRy » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:24 pm

I actually have been pricing out the Leupold's as well as the vortex's. There is lots of good choices out there but I would hate to make a bad choice when spending this kind of money. I have a some odd needs as I need a super powerful scope to see the areas I hunt and I also do mostly pack-in style hunting so I need it as light as possible. Those dont really go together. Its seems like the best, lightest scopes are lower power and the big scopes are heavy. I appreciate all the input guys.

waspocrew
4 point
4 point

Post by waspocrew » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:34 pm

I've had my Vortex Viper 15-45 for about a month now and it's been a great scope. I'm looking for a lighter tripod for hunting, but the dakota tripod that came with it isn't too bad to pack... Cameraland.com is having a great sale on their vortex line... I got mine for a great price and the tripod was added on for a penny.