ATTENTION: NEW OR STRUGGLING HUNTERS

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
Turokman123
2 point
2 point

Re: ATTENTION: NEW OR STRUGGLING HUNTERS

Post by Turokman123 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:54 pm

Responded to all the PM's I got. Anybody else got questions for Colorado?
2010 Strother SR-71 390 grain arrow @ ~60# >-------> 298 FPS with 74.6 KE. Slick Trick Army.
"Is it elk season yet?"

brs154
Fawn
Fawn

Post by brs154 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:08 am

What does everyone know about region R in wyoming?
Thanks in advance
Bryce

ryanatfulldraw
Fawn
Fawn

Post by ryanatfulldraw » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:51 pm

I just started hunting Archery deer in the great state of Utah and am very excited to shoot my first Utah Mule deer. I drew out for unit 17A and have been having a really hard time locating deer this year. I have started scouting Provo canyon in a location that held a pretty good amount of deer the last time I hunted the area. I have heard because of the dry season we are having the deer are at much higher altitudes. I have moved up the canyon just above where I have previously hunted in the past and have found a few deer trails that look like they are used often but the trail camera is only turning up a few does within a three or four day period of time. I have moved up further into the canyon and seen only a few does here and there. To me it seems like the deer are really spread out and for me hard to locate. of course I am a beginner and do not have very much experience but I am getting really frustrated at this point and would love any advice I can get. Also very great full to see this thread thanks!

horncrzy
Fawn
Fawn

Post by horncrzy » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:18 pm

Drew out for the Pine Valley unit in Utah.....I have never hunted the unit before. I am a dedicated hunter and will be hunting all three seasons....my father has a rifle tag. I have been out scouting multiple times and have come across some decent bucks.....I would really like to start getting into the high wilderness areas to hunt during the archery and muzzle loader...any tips on where to start? Also I have heard that the muleys in this unit start to migrate during the rifle hunt....this has me concerned because all the deer that I have found scouting will possibly relocate. How early does this deer heard start to migrate? Do they need snow to kick them into migration or are they more like paunsagaunt deer and move when its "time"? Any tips or areas to try to hunt is appreciated.

tcrowe
Fawn
Fawn

Post by tcrowe » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:21 pm

Hello all I recently moved from Texas to Billings Montana and looking for any help on the upcoming hunting season i know im late in the game having missed the draw but looking to do any hunting this fall (left over otc) archery mainly but i do get the gun out when i need meat. ive been out in the red lodge area and saw that custer national forrest was in the area and have seen a few scattered public lands in the area any tips would be appreciated. i have been hunting in southern colorado and in the buffalo wy area so i have a general public land hunting knowledge just never started from scratch like i am now.

coloradobone
Fawn
Fawn

Post by coloradobone » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:52 am

I have some experience hunting colorado near the rout divide in unit 27. I was muzzle hunting deer at the time but according to the elk activity that I saw while I was there I think it would be an awesome area for elk muzzle or elk rifle. Anyone in need of any info on that area feel free to pm me. Hunted right beside unit 15 there and beleive I could be helpful to a unit 15 hunter.

I am also from the east and have a ton of information on fishing the lake erie and lake ontario tributaries for steelhead, browns and salmon.

I need infor on colorado's unit 62. Me and my father and law have a 2nd rifle deer tag and will be buying a bull tag also. Will be hunting off of the divide road any info would be helpful. Thanks.

Mularcher
4 point
4 point

Post by Mularcher » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:59 pm

horncrzy wrote:Drew out for the Pine Valley unit in Utah.....I have never hunted the unit before. I am a dedicated hunter and will be hunting all three seasons....my father has a rifle tag. I have been out scouting multiple times and have come across some decent bucks.....I would really like to start getting into the high wilderness areas to hunt during the archery and muzzle loader...any tips on where to start? Also I have heard that the muleys in this unit start to migrate during the rifle hunt....this has me concerned because all the deer that I have found scouting will possibly relocate. How early does this deer heard start to migrate? Do they need snow to kick them into migration or are they more like paunsagaunt deer and move when its "time"? Any tips or areas to try to hunt is appreciated.

I was in that area last year, my wife had a rifle tag and from what I saw and what I was told from other hunters who hunted the area the whole rifle season the mature bucks didn’t move down until the end of the rifle hunt. I think it really depends on the weather if it remains hot probably about the same if it gets cold they’ll move sooner.
“If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it.” Fred Bear

FDChunter
Fawn
Fawn

Post by FDChunter » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:17 pm

Hello Gentlemen.
I just pulled my very first deer tag after 5 years of putting in. I pulled the tag for Nevada Hunt unit 011, 012, 013 for the Early season. I am new to deer hunting and would appreciate any help that you guys can offer. Thank you in advance.

Northface
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Northface » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:43 am

Great Idea for this post. If anyone needs help with Eastern, Northern and Southern Nevada and also Western Utah let me know. I've spent a lot of my life through these areas so information on areas, hunting (deer, elk, sheep, waterfowl, lopers, yotes), roads, access - I would love to help. I'm sure there will come a time where I'll draw out on a world class tag and may seek some information, which would be greatly appreciated. PM anytime you want.

Showmeyourrack
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Showmeyourrack » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:22 pm

Looking for some help with Central Southern Wyoming in particular Unit 82 for Mulies and unit 48 for Antelope ( doe tags ). We drew a group of 6, none of us have been there, I scouted it 2 weeks ago, not looking for GPS marks, but general area's for public land for mulies and antelope, any suggestions and or help would be appreciated