NW Nebraska

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
Full Draw
Fawn
Fawn

NW Nebraska

Post by Full Draw » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:08 pm

Hey guys - I'm heading out to Northwest Nebraska this weekend for a 4-day bowhunt, man am I jacked up! I'll be hunting with an outfitter (I feel a little goofy about that - I'm a DIY kind of guy most of the time) and from our recent coversations it sounds like he's got a lot of deer. Hopefully we'll get some good opportunities and I'll have some good pictures next week at this time. Anyways, if anyone has any good tips for NW Nebraska let me know. Thanks!

jls456
2 point
2 point

Re: NW Nebraska

Post by jls456 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:30 pm

Where at in Nw Neb? I'v hunted south of Chadron and can not believe how deer are there. Most on private land,but there is a lot of USFS land near by. Both Mule and Whiteys

ICMDEER
Spike
Spike

Post by ICMDEER » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:57 pm

Please post a report on your hunt. I'll be curious to hear how you do. As is often the case, there are good and bad places to hunt and good and not-so-good outfitters there.

Good luck, hope you smacked a big one.

hound_hunter
Monster
Monster

Post by hound_hunter » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:30 pm

Hey sometimes guided hunts are just the way to go. DIY is the way to go when you're hunting an area where you have time to do some research, have been to the general area a couple times before, and hopefully have time for a few scouting trips or things of that sort. Guided hunts allow you to hunt a completely new hunting area away from where you normally get to and allows you to not be completely lost while you're out there. I say good for you for making it out to a new area! I would love to check out Nebraska sometime, I've heard there's some real monsters out there, good consistent gene pool. I'm looking forward to hearing how the hunt plays out! Good luck.

Jason Christensen
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Jason Christensen » Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:41 pm

So how did your hunt in Nebraska go? We have shot a few nice ones the last couple of weeks! Here is a picture of a dandy we shot the last week of Sept.
[url]C:\Documents and Settings\Hunter\My Documents\My Pictures\Gorwill's Muley Sept. 22nd, 2010[/url]
Jason Christensen
www.nebraskaoutdoorexperience.com
(402)499-3475
"Take a kid hunting and you won't be hunting for them in the future!"

Full Draw
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Full Draw » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:56 am

Everyone,
Well we got back from Nebraska last week. We didn't bring any antlers home, but I did enjoy the hunt as much as I could. That being said it was not a very good hunt from a hunting standpoint. We saw a lot of deer, but they were all onto the outfitter's set-ups and it was frustrating knowing how lazy he was with his set-ups.

In his defense I did get a pretty good opportunity on one good mule deer we saw stand up out of his bed and lay back down. I stalked to 40 yards and when I came up out of a creek bed he was already standing up looking at me. I quickly drew and shot but it went over his back, so that was my fault. Very cool experience though, you could never do that to the whitetails I hunt back here in IL.

The problem I have is that not one of us (group of 4 hunters) had a shot opportunity out of his stands (even though he advertises near 100% success - I should have known better). He sent me to a stand the 2nd morning that was about 12' up in a big dead cottonwood tree that had 2 x 4 steps going up to it, and the first step was head-high. When confronted about this stand his reponse was "oh it's safe, I was up in there last month". There is a lot more that I'll be posting in his outfitter review, I'm just waiting to see his response to my issues I've had with him to see how he resolves them.

But the country was very cool, we got to stalk a box canyon during mid-day one afternoon and saw some elk in there. Those things are huge! I like the open-ness to the country and it's crazy how all of a sudden they will be 10 deer in a spot you were just looking at and you have no clue how they showed up there! I'd like to hunt an area like this with someone who knows how to hunt it and actually knows how the deer are using the land. This trip wasn't very successful but I think I'll be hunting in this region again sometime, just not with this outfitter!

NewMexhunter
Fawn
Fawn

Post by NewMexhunter » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:01 pm

Man thats sucks your outfitter wasn't up to par hope you didn't pay to much for his services. Hope next time you can connect with a good outfitter