Idaho Muleys? Help

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
kallred12
Fawn
Fawn

Idaho Muleys? Help

Post by kallred12 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:45 pm

I have never put in for mule deer in Idaho but plan on it this year. Im a DIY hunter and im looking for my best odds at the biggest buck possible. Any info on what units to look into, drawing odds, trophy quality etc. would be greatly appreciated. I dont mind waiting a few years for a higher quality hunt. Thanks for any input.

devinandmissy
Fawn
Fawn

Re: Idaho Muleys? Help

Post by devinandmissy » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:14 pm

Idaho has no points system so any of the big buck hunts are going to be near impossible to draw (odds are 1:25). Many of the places on public land that used to be good have been taken over by wolves. If you look arround their website they have pretty good information on drawing odds, success rate and size of the game taken. If it were me I would look for a november rifle hunt and pray it snows early.

IDHunter
2 point
2 point

Post by IDHunter » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:33 pm

The downside to applying in Idaho is you have to buy a license. It gets very expensive if you don't have a general season area to fall back on. I know guys that have spent 10+ years trying to draw areas that don't have horrible odds without any luck. They are no closer today then 10 years ago.

I've been putting in for a moose tag in an area with 25% draw success for a few years now and can't seem to pull a tag. Without points, I have zero guarantees.

agwhitetail
Fawn
Fawn

Post by agwhitetail » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:34 pm

I hunted elk and muleys in unit 49 out of Carey Idaho and my buddy shot a 160" 5 * 5. We saw a fair amount of mule deer and 4 other bucks that would beat the one we got. We hunted with an outfitter so I'm not sure if you would need to draw or not.
Good Luck

runngun
Fawn
Fawn

Post by runngun » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:29 pm

unit 73 has an unlimited quota so you put in and you draw, there is a decent amount of land on forest ground and i personally seen a 20", 23" and 26" bucks come off that area this year , it is close to utah so you can get your scouting time in and you know you are gonna draw. and the best part is if you don't end up wanting to hunt the unit you just don't have to go pay for your tag. And just seeing the amount of deer that winter between malad and utah border along i-15 blows my mind. my two cents