Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
shredder4286
Fawn
Fawn

Re-poppin the hunt cherry U34 CO

Post by shredder4286 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:03 pm

Howdy all,

Myself and a few friends drew deer tags for Unit 34 Colorado- we went up and did some scouting the weekend of August 5th. We found a few nice spots- one of which wasn't very far off the road... I keep hearing that the further you get away from the main trails/roads- the better your chances of filling the freezer are. This is my first hunt in 13 years, so I'm ready to get back out into the wild, even if I come home empty-handed, I won't count it as loss. That's some beautiful country out there. Any help in achieving success, however, would be greatly appreciated. =D>

shredder4286
Fawn
Fawn

Re: Re-poppin the hunt cherry U34 CO

Post by shredder4286 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:28 pm

P.S.- Even if your experience or knowledge came from a different unit in CO that I'm hunting, I'll be glad to hear your input. Just for reference, GMU 34 is about 65 miles west of Denver, by glenwood springs and gypsum....

TheGreatwhitehunter

Unit 34 Colorado

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:11 pm

Hello ::wel to Muley Madness where are you from

Quote:
Myself and a few friends drew deer tags for Unit 34 Colorado
Did you put in the draw specificly for this tag as you said you and a few friends drew unit 34 tags?

Or did you buy it a a leftover, there are always quite a few leftovers for this area.

I am asking you this becuase it is not a very popular unit for deer but is very popular for elk.

What season are you guys hunting?

What areas have you scouted PM me if you like and I will see if I can help point you in the right direction

There are deer there, and sometimes some BIG BUCKS, but it is much better hunting during the later seasons.

By the way Unit 34 for reference purposes is about 2 hrs 30 minutes from Denver about 150 miles not 65, It takes me 2 hours on the nose to get to Avon 122 miles from Denver which is before Glenwood Springs
THE LORD IS MY ROCK

m gardner
Monster
Monster

Post by m gardner » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:23 am

Unit 34 is a very rugged and high unit. There are some tremendous bucks there and you'll see bighorn sheep there too. There's alot of it that basically goes untouched because it is rugged so a little hiking will put you into some good spots. There are not lots of mule deer though. Going in from Dotsero you'll come to a private ranch on the right. Between that and Deep Creek on the east side of the ranch there's public land that holds some good mulies usually. Good luck. Mark

shredder4286
Fawn
Fawn

Post by shredder4286 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:42 pm

Greatwhite-

I'm from Indiana originally. I've been stationed @ FT Carson for 2 1/2 years. I hooked up with a guy on a different hunt forum, and he helped me learn the ins/outs of the CO draw process. He knew a fella who was familiar with area 34, so we all applied for a group tag, and got it the 2nd time around. We are hunting 2nd rifle season- I drew a buck tag, and got a leftover doe tag as well. We pretty much drove up and down Forest Road 600- (there's a few fellas who aren't as mobile as I am).
There's alot of it that basically goes untouched because it is rugged so a little hiking will put you into some good spots. There are not lots of mule deer though. Going in from Dotsero you'll come to a private ranch on the right. Between that and Deep Creek on the east side of the ranch there's public land that holds some good mulies usually. Good luck. Mark
That's what I'm hearing from several hunt vets- I wasn't able to scout the more remote locations, but if I hunt with another able body, we can get further back into the hiding spots that noone else has ventured into. I really don't care if I get a buck or doe, I just wanna fill the freezer.

m gardner
Monster
Monster

Post by m gardner » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:29 am

You'll know you're in the right spot if you start to find sheds no one has picked up for years. Last hunt I took in there I came out with a dozen elk and mulie sheds which proves no one likes to put the effort into going in there. I saw a 6x6 (175 class) and passed the first day but the weather warmed up into the 60's and I never saw him again. Bad choice on my part. Good luck and watch the weather if you're hunting the later seasons.

TheGreatwhitehunter

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:51 am

shredder4286 I recieved your PM and sent you a reply with some places to check out in unit 34, best of luck to you. Check your PM
THE LORD IS MY ROCK

Tyre1212
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Tyre1212 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:46 pm

Hey guys, I have drawn a left over permit for unit 34 mule deer 3rd season. Due to complications at work I haven't been able to get time off to do much scouting. Any advice or pointers that anyone could provide me would be greatly appreciated! Thanks again guys.

RichieO26
Fawn
Fawn

Post by RichieO26 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:13 pm

How did your hunt work out? I am looking to go out to unit 34 this September for a archery elk hunt. Looking to see if anyone is willing to help out with any information? :thumb

RidgeWalker
Fawn
Fawn

Post by RidgeWalker » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:37 am

I drew this unit this year and it's the 3rd hunt Nov 5th - 12th. I've never hunted this area before and have heard there is a lot of private ground. Any tips on where the best places to go in the area would be much appreciated. I'm not opposed to getting out and hiking and would prefer it but would also not be upset if I shot one off the road...lol