Another 3rd Season in SW Colorado!

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
TexasHunter83
2 point
2 point

Re: Another 3rd Season in SW Colorado!

Post by TexasHunter83 » Wed May 18, 2016 2:24 pm

bh107 wrote:We'll be there again this year finally. We should have drawn last year but my dad screwed up his application and fouled up the whole group. It's pretty much a guaranteed draw this year.

It was nice meeting you 2 years ago Brian, and I'm sure we'll see you again this year. We'll have our normal group of 6 this year, not just my buddy and I like when we saw you 2 years back. Might add a few more with OTC elk tags like you are talking.
Awesome man. We'll be there for sure, just not sure what I'll be hunting. It was nice meeting you guys as well. Always kind of neat running into people you converse with online. I have to give you guys credit. My buddy and I were joking about you guys on the way back home. We were talking about how we were strapping on backpacks and walking a few hundred yards of trails at 6,500ft and thinking we were doing "all the good" until we met you guys and heard y'all were hiking 10 miles + a day up at 9,000ft-10,000ft. The joke was mainly on us... lol. We'll probably be camping in the same area this year.

bh107
Spike
Spike

Post by bh107 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:48 pm

Well just like I though our group drew tags. How about you guys?

TexasHunter83
2 point
2 point

Post by TexasHunter83 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:04 am

bh107 wrote:Well just like I though our group drew tags. How about you guys?
Congrats man! I drew for Mule Deer! I'll be the only one hunting deer in our group. A couple other guys may decide to go the OTC elk route. I've already been on Google Earth doing the digital scout thing...lol You draw for 3rd Season?

bh107
Spike
Spike

Post by bh107 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:07 am

Yes, we'll be there 3rd season.

So are you guys going to move higher where the elk are? How many guys this year?

TexasHunter83
2 point
2 point

Post by TexasHunter83 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:01 pm

bh107 wrote:Yes, we'll be there 3rd season.

So are you guys going to move higher where the elk are? How many guys this year?
Haha I wish I could go higher. My lungs can barely handle where we hunted last time at 6,000ft. We plan on camping in the same place as last time, but I've got a couple of different spots I want to try in addition to where I hunted last time; mostly around Disappointment Creek and the slope going down to it. There's a pretty densely vegetated valley near our camp that seems to hold elk. There was plenty of sign and my dad ended up having a herd run up on him while he was deer hunting. If he decides to get an elk tag I'm sure he'll head back to that spot. A group from my hometown went to the same place last year and killed two elk pretty close to where we camp; west about a mile. There are 6 going in our group, but I'm the only one who drew a deer tag. The other two guys may purchase OTC elk tags; which would put the hunter total at 3. I also got word from a family friend that will be camping next to us in the 3rd season. He's looking for a landowner deer tag as an option and/or a leftover cow tag. I'm sure if he really wants to go he'll get an OTC bull tag.

bh107
Spike
Spike

Post by bh107 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:29 pm

Right on, I'm sure we'll see you then. The late opener should be good as long as there is a little weather.

Interesting that you guys saw elk. We saw a few cows last time we deer hunted there, but that was the only time in 30 years of hunting down there that my dad had seen elk. Usually being there that late all of the elk have tucked back up high once the rut is over, especially the bulls. Over where we were hunting, we never saw elk below 10,500' because it was so warm.

On your deer hunt, just be careful down by the creek, as it is the actual unit boundry. If you get caught on the wrong side the wardens usually aren't real happy.

We'll definitely stay in touch and hope for weather!

TexasHunter83
2 point
2 point

Post by TexasHunter83 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:43 am

bh107 wrote:Right on, I'm sure we'll see you then. The late opener should be good as long as there is a little weather.

Interesting that you guys saw elk. We saw a few cows last time we deer hunted there, but that was the only time in 30 years of hunting down there that my dad had seen elk. Usually being there that late all of the elk have tucked back up high once the rut is over, especially the bulls. Over where we were hunting, we never saw elk below 10,500' because it was so warm.

On your deer hunt, just be careful down by the creek, as it is the actual unit boundry. If you get caught on the wrong side the wardens usually aren't real happy.

We'll definitely stay in touch and hope for weather!
Yessir, my dad saw elk in 2014 and in 2015 two of our buddies each killed an elk; 1 cow and 1 bull. Thanks for the head-up. I definitely don't tend to hunt too close to the creek as some of it is even private in places. Most of the area we hunt is actually public all the way up to the creek; the other side being unit 70. Probably about 90% of the spots I hunt are actually in the fingers and slopes heading down towards the creek.

I'll keep my fingers crossed on the weather!

fishcarver
Fawn
Fawn

Post by fishcarver » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:10 am

I cant wait to hear about your hunts. i love that area. I wish I was going back there this year. There is always a chance at a nice deer there. Thats what keeps it exciting.

bh107
Spike
Spike

Post by bh107 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:58 pm

Well things changed a little for me, and I will be driving SOUTH to hunt in Colorado. I moved to Bozeman, MT last week to take a new job. Unfortunately I won't have tags of my own this year, but I'm looking forward to spending some time in the mountains learning for next year. But the bright side is that I will still be able to make it down to CO for 3rd season.

TexasHunter83
2 point
2 point

Post by TexasHunter83 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:07 am

fishcarver wrote:I cant wait to hear about your hunts. i love that area. I wish I was going back there this year. There is always a chance at a nice deer there. Thats what keeps it exciting.
I've seen some nice deer taken out of the area, I hope to get on the trail of one this year. With any luck I'll have some good photos or videos to share with all of you.