Another 3rd Season in SW Colorado!

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
TexasHunter83
2 point
2 point

Another 3rd Season in SW Colorado!

Post by TexasHunter83 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:43 pm

Well, I put in an application for Colorado Units 711 and 71 for the 3rd season Deer again. I've got a 50% chance of getting drawn for mule deer, but will be going to camp and scout regardless. If I don't draw for deer, I'm seriously considering buying an OTC elk for 711/71. 18hrs is a long ride to shoot rabbits. lol. The only person to see elk last time was my dad and he was in such thick cover he couldn't see the whole herd. He had calves run up on him, spook, and then run. We have some buddies that killed 2 elk in 711 last year during the third season, so I'm hoping (if I don't draw deer) that an elk tag won't go to waste in my pocket. Good luck to everyone during the application process.

treedagain
2 point
2 point

Re: Another 3rd Season in SW Colorado!

Post by treedagain » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:48 pm

good luck with that. I put in for unit 70 with 12 points for the 4th season. I hope to be hunting this fall

ABert

Post by ABert » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:55 pm

I should draw for deer but probably not for elk. I will be hunting both regardless either drawing or left over tags. And I'll be hunting spring turkey tomorrow morning.
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.

TexasHunter83
2 point
2 point

Post by TexasHunter83 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:36 am

treedagain wrote:good luck with that. I put in for unit 70 with 12 points for the 4th season. I hope to be hunting this fall
Thanks! I don't know what the PP requirement is for 70, but I would imagine 12 points would be plenty. I know 71/711 usually takes 1 to 2 points to draw depending on if you're in that lucky 50% range with just 1 point. Good luck to you!

TexasHunter83
2 point
2 point

Post by TexasHunter83 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:39 am

ABert wrote:I should draw for deer but probably not for elk. I will be hunting both regardless either drawing or left over tags. And I'll be hunting spring turkey tomorrow morning.
I'm kind of the opposite. I'm hoping I draw for deer, but if not, it'll likely be an OTC bull elk for me. Elk aren't real thick where we hunted, but they're around. Once again, I'll be hoping for CO to get some good snows in mid to late October; last year was pretty warm the first few days and the deer simply weren't down from the mountains yet.

I imagine you're turkey hunting as I type this, but good luck regardless.

ABert

Post by ABert » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:40 pm

No turkey this morning but I've got until May 22. Funny thing is we've have about 20 turkeys crossing our land at the same time in the morning for the last couple of weeks. I guess they knew this morning was opening day. Looks like I might have to venture out in the NF if they don't start showing back up.
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.

TexasHunter83
2 point
2 point

Post by TexasHunter83 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:39 am

ABert wrote:No turkey this morning but I've got until May 22. Funny thing is we've have about 20 turkeys crossing our land at the same time in the morning for the last couple of weeks. I guess they knew this morning was opening day. Looks like I might have to venture out in the NF if they don't start showing back up.
Funny how that works. lol
I think these animals are smarter than we give them credit. Good luck. I'd like to see a photo when you get one!

9er
Monster
Monster

Post by 9er » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:02 pm

Good luck in the draw. Should have some good hunts over there this year with the dates.
Watch your top knot!

TexasHunter83
2 point
2 point

Post by TexasHunter83 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:50 am

9er wrote:Good luck in the draw. Should have some good hunts over there this year with the dates.
Thanks! You're about the 3rd person to tell me that; gives me hope! Even convinces me further to get an Elk tag if I don't draw deer.

bh107
Spike
Spike

Post by bh107 » Sat May 07, 2016 3:43 pm

We'll be there again this year finally. We should have drawn last year but my dad screwed up his application and fouled up the whole group. It's pretty much a guaranteed draw this year.

It was nice meeting you 2 years ago Brian, and I'm sure we'll see you again this year. We'll have our normal group of 6 this year, not just my buddy and I like when we saw you 2 years back. Might add a few more with OTC elk tags like you are talking.