Colorado Mule Deer Unit 35

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
RidgeWalker
Fawn
Fawn

Colorado Mule Deer Unit 35

Post by RidgeWalker » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:55 am

I've drawn the 3rd season Nov 5th - 12th for deer. I've never hunted it and have been told there is lot's of private ground. Any pointers that I could get about the best spots to have a chance of shooting a wall hanger would be much appreciated. I'm not apposed to getting out and hiking, in fact I would prefer it. Thanks,

9er
Monster
Monster

Re: Colorado Mule Deer Unit 35

Post by 9er » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:07 pm

Lets hear an introduction about yourself. Maybe tell us that you have been out scouting or at least pouring over maps to find areas.

Lots of folks come and ask for a free handout with out giving anything in return. Stick around, post a bit and lets see if someone will throw you a bone or 2

Good luck on your hunt
Watch your top knot!

RidgeWalker
Fawn
Fawn

Post by RidgeWalker » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:02 pm

I've hunted all my life but not as much as I would like to as of late. I travel a lot for work so between that and my family my time has been limited. I've lived in Utah most of my life where I've hunted Mule Deer, Elk, Bear, Moose, Mountain Goat and Buffalo. If you would like tips on where to put in for the Utah draw I can be of service. I've hunted Wyoming several times for mule deer as well. I also try and hunt spring black bear in Montana every year. I've been to Kodiak Alaska hunting Grizzly bear where I've watched my Dad shoot a 10'2" Kodiak Griz. He has been a couple times and we know a great outfit to use there.

I've never hunted in Colorado before but after some research found out you could draw a really good deer tag without having to wait 10-20 years like you do in Utah. I've looked online at the map and unit 35 looks like there is a lot of private land. It could be really good if we get a good snow storm in late October or that first week of my hunt that starts Nov 5th. I would like to know the best area of 35 to focus on and what to expect. Thanks

TexasHunter83
2 point
2 point

Post by TexasHunter83 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:57 pm

RidgeWalker wrote:I've hunted all my life but not as much as I would like to as of late. I travel a lot for work so between that and my family my time has been limited. I've lived in Utah most of my life where I've hunted Mule Deer, Elk, Bear, Moose, Mountain Goat and Buffalo. If you would like tips on where to put in for the Utah draw I can be of service. I've hunted Wyoming several times for mule deer as well. I also try and hunt spring black bear in Montana every year. I've been to Kodiak Alaska hunting Grizzly bear where I've watched my Dad shoot a 10'2" Kodiak Griz. He has been a couple times and we know a great outfit to use there.

I've never hunted in Colorado before but after some research found out you could draw a really good deer tag without having to wait 10-20 years like you do in Utah. I've looked online at the map and unit 35 looks like there is a lot of private land. It could be really good if we get a good snow storm in late October or that first week of my hunt that starts Nov 5th. I would like to know the best area of 35 to focus on and what to expect. Thanks
Welcome to the madness. I'd definitely get onto CDOW's website and look at the Hunting Atlas they have available. By the looks of it, Unit 35 has all BLM land to hunt. The most public land concentrations for that unit is in the South-Southwest corner, then runs along the northern border and up to the north-northeast corner. There's also a big block of BLM land in the center of the unit.

I couldn't tell you the best area of the unit, as I've never hunted it, but if you're worried about accidently wandering onto private land, I'd just pick out one of the larger blocks to hunt. THAT SAID, deer know where they're safe; meaning they know where private land is. Sometimes it's a good idea to hunt areas near private land; you can catch deer coming into and out of those areas. I'd definitely invest in some sort of GPS based mapping app. OnXHunt is a good app for your phone. This app has gotten folks out of tickets for trespassing.

If you don't know much about an area, stick with larger tracts of accessible BLM land. With more planning time, you could look into paying a landowner a trespass fee to access more remote sections of public property that are blocked in by private land. Good Luck to you! I'll be hunting muleys in CO during the 3rd season as well!

RidgeWalker
Fawn
Fawn

Post by RidgeWalker » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:51 am

Thank you so much for the info and advice!

bocephus
Fawn
Fawn

Post by bocephus » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:21 pm

How's the hunt going? Any luck?