Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
NotEnufTags
Monster
Monster

My Son's 2016 Archery Buck

Post by NotEnufTags » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:07 am

Hey Muley Madness friends,
We didn't draw any tags this year so I purchased one of the left over youth archery tags. I am so glad I did as we had an amazing hunt. My friend had his 13-year-old and 15-year-old with tags and we were seeing bucks everywhere. By lunch on opening morning we had seen 9 different 4 point bucks and all in camp (with tags) had an opportunity to stock a buck but all had missed or blew the stock.

At 2:30 in the afternoon, after lunch and a rest at camp, we headed back out. My buddy and his sons went to where I had pushed bucks to in the morning. My son came with me on the push route. A few hundred yards into the aspens we kicked up a bedded doe, then another and another. I told my son "there are more bedded deer in here so be ready". Not 15 yards further in the aspens we both saw the antlers of a sleeping 4 point. He ranged it at 31 yards. It stood up as he drew back. My view was blocked by an aspen but I knew he hit the buck as the bushes he was in started thrashing around.

As a dad I felt the responsibility of needing to become hyper focused. I was watching where the buck would run to and making mental notes so that I'd be able to track after we give time for it to expire. The bushes stopped moving after 30 -45 seconds. We could see the antlers on the ground and knew the buck was dead. I didn't have to track, yeah! I've had many rifle kills that took longer to die. As we got up to the buck we were so excited. The buck has great mass. I thought for sure my sons first archery buck would be a spike or two point but approaching this downed buck I knew I'd have to come up with some taxidermy dollars.

Here is my boy and his buck, which incidentally was shot about 800 yards from where I shot the buck in my avatar. Yeeha! for good bucks on general season hunts.
Kadens archery 2016 buck - sized.jpg
Kadens archery 2016 buck - sized.jpg (150.94 KiB) Viewed 20777 times
Here's a picture of the pack out. It wasn't grueling or long but the cape and antler needed to be treated right so the buck was quartered and caped on the spot.
Packin out
Packin out
Here's me with my boy. Notice who has the bloody arms. Not complaining but he'll get dirty on the next one. I sent him down for the meat packs as I caped and quartered. It was such a fun and awesome experience.
back to the wheeler 2016 sized.jpg
"Some day I'll scout out a monster, spot him while hunting, make the stalk of a lifetime, and have dreams come true. 'Til then I'll be happy with the buck in my cross-hairs."

ABert

Re: My Son's 2016 Archery Buck

Post by ABert » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:02 pm

Congrats to your son! Heck of a first buck, he'll have to put in some work to get a bigger one next year.
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.

BOHNTR

Post by BOHNTR » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:27 am

That's awesome, man! Congratulations to the young hunter on a magnificent buck. Heck of a lot bigger than my first archery buck.
BOHNTR )))-------------->

Bowhunting Editor-Western Hunter Magazine
Pope & Young Measurer
Boone & Crockett Measurer

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:24 am

Man that's too cool, really cool buck. Thanks for the post, looks and sounds like a REAL good hunt.

a_bow_nut

Post by a_bow_nut » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:38 am

Congrats on a great looking buck.
Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell
the difference.

JBird
Monster
Monster

Post by JBird » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:29 pm