Paunsaugunt - Muzzleloading hunt hurt

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
camodup
3 point
3 point

Re: Paunsaugunt - Muzzleloading hunt hurt

Post by camodup » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:52 am

Me and my dad and some buddys hunted the Paunie this last year (2008) and that was with a muzzleloader. the deer were still unrested and wild from the rifle hunt, why not move the muzzleloader hunt back just a little more... although they did move it back in 2008 than previous years
thedailyhuntandfish.com

Pro Staff for Northern Utah Waterfowl
Duck Junkies Field Staff

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:06 pm

One downside to moving it back further is several of the big bucks actually leave the state and move into Arizona.

JBird
Monster
Monster

Post by JBird » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:19 pm

I don't totally agree with the whole thing about Arizona shooting all the deer, I've hunted the 12B which is the unit just south of the Pauns, and from what I've seen, hunting and just looking most of the bigger bucks stay in Utah.

brine
Fawn
Fawn

Post by brine » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:37 pm

I'm sure you old timers out there remember when we didn't have the numbers of elk that we have today. The whole south end of the state had a very limited number of permits. The deer stayed in the high country longer and I can remember certain areas, in the low country, where a hunter could not find a deer until the second weekend of the hunt. Now with the big push of deer hunters and elk hunters, these same areas are loaded with deer, after being harassed, even before the deer season starts.

This same constant push will have there Pauns deer south of the highway and on to Arizona faster than before - that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

We certainly don't need the deer hunt later or we might as well paint a number on the buck and have Mossback go with all of us and tell us which one of the rutting bucks to shoot. This change will be such an improvement in the rifle hunt and so drastically effect the muzzleloading hunt that if you're a ML'er, scream to the top of your lungs to any of those on the RAC' s or BGB. YOU HAVE BEEN SOLD OUT11