How do YOU judge a trophy?

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
182BC...4Now!
2 point
2 point

Re: How do YOU judge a trophy?

Post by 182BC...4Now! » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:58 pm

Guess I'll contribute my 2 cents too. More than a couple times, my dad and I have been hunting and have agreed that it's almost a curse to know how to score a trophy on the hoof in a matter of seconds b/c the 'score' is always in the back of your mind. That being said, I still think scoring (gross score) is a great way to accurately compare harvested animals. I have never said that I have a minimum score and if a buck is 2" under that, then I won't harvest him. In order for me to take a buck, he has to walk out and I KNOW he's a shooter. He just has to have something that attracts me...don't care what the score is. However, and I know some will probably roll their eyes at this comment, a mulie buck will probably have to be over 170" in order for me to get excited. If that means I only harvest one deer the rest of my life, well so be it...that's why it's called hunting not shooting.

Personally, I'd rather go out and not shoot anything than just take the biggest/only thing I see, but that's just me. Without a doubt, I have gone home empty handed (by choice) far more times than I've gone home with an animal.

Whether you like it or not, scoring is a great way to judge an animal. Pictures can often times be altered or posed in a way that make an animal look huge, or vice versa, so I like to know the score when I see a pic. Other times, someone might say they shot a 26" 4x4....well, what does that mean? It could be anything from a 120" to a 200". Anyway, that's how I look at it...hope no one takes offense to anything I said.

waynedevore

Post by waynedevore » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:48 am

I like those old heavy horned mature bucks with to much trash to be typical but not enough to be non-typical. So I like the gross score.
I'm not big on scoring, never have been.
I'm into the over all adventure of the hunt. And I like to put myself into the position of having an opportunity at the best buck an area has to offer. :thumb
I think for those of us that have to drive a ways to hunt Mulies, and no opportunity to scout. Limited to hunting areas where few bucks live long enough to reach their full potential. A buck that has some mass, spreads about 24 inches with good forks is a fine trophy.
That being said, sure do wish more bucks could make it to that 5 plus years.

sewing
Spike
Spike

Post by sewing » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:35 pm

Great feedback everyone. I appreciate all the different points of view.

sean_shotgun
Fawn
Fawn

Post by sean_shotgun » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:48 pm

My trophy is a perfectly prepared dish of venison for dinner. Dont even care if it had horns.

BIGHILLHUNTER
Spike
Spike

Post by BIGHILLHUNTER » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:04 pm

I have to say I've enjoyed reading everybody's posts =D> ! I agree with everyone of them, I take knowledge from each one and hope to have the eperience or some close to those shared! I keep [-o< that we con continue haveing these great experiences and be able to share them with others for a long time. Every animal is unique as is the hunter and the hunt! :thumb

NotEnufTags
Monster
Monster

Post by NotEnufTags » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:46 pm

Sewing,

I think judging a trophy should come from your passed hunting experiences. When I was 16, my velvet spike was an accomplishment and a cherished moment. A trophy if you will. A couple two points and three points later I found myself with a definition of a trophy as any 24" mature 4 point buck. Having never shot a four point, I have passed on many bucks that are larger than the twos and threes I've shot. Many of which would have fit the bill of getting my first 4 point, but they weren't 24" so they got passed upon. Last year I was lucky in my harvest of the buck in my avatar. It really sets the bar high for me. As for all the talk about score, it went 196 2/8" gross. It has two cheaters off one side and one off the other. The cheaters dropped it to 1 2/8" below the minimum all time B&C entry at 188 6/8". That's okay. For me, I love being able to say that I've harvested a 5x6 and the trash is awesome and the buck blows away anything that I've ever shot at or killed. I'm still looking for that 24" plus symetrical 4 point. It could be anywhere from 150 on up and would make me feel like I've achieved the next goal in my hunting experience.

I realize that you have the tag of a lifetime. You are probably very nervous that you'll come home with a buck that doesn't meet the expectations of your peers or your own expectations. That said, I would ask yourself what type of buck have you been realistically pursueing for the last several hunts (years). What type of buck would make you feel like you've accomplished your next hunting goal. That will be a trophy. There are alot of B&C type bucks on the Henry's. My neighbor was down there three weeks ago. Even this late in the shed hunting season he picked up 13 separate sides that were over 80" Those are all 185" + bucks. He saw a live buck that would go 220" and several 190" deer. He also said that when the rifle hunt comes around that many of the tag holders have up to 20 of their friends out glassing for them and that the deer get pushed hard from where you scout them unless you have found a remote spot.

Rather than getting overly star struck by the potential of an absolute monster, I would hold out for a great buck that meets your hunting goals. Who cares what anyone else thinks as long as your happy with the outcome. Best of luck to you. I will likely be one of those "buddies" out glassing for my brothers room-mate who also has a Henry's tag.
"Some day I'll scout out a monster, spot him while hunting, make the stalk of a lifetime, and have dreams come true. 'Til then I'll be happy with the buck in my cross-hairs."

harvey
Spike
Spike

Post by harvey » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:47 pm

This will be my first year hunting mullies, In regards to trophy? If my father gets a good shot at a mature mullie, Of course the bigger the better, but if he gets a buck, doesn't get hurt or to tired, and we make the four day drive to Utah and back It will be the best hunt I have ever been on! Bar none! Spending thirteen days one on one with my dad, five of it in the field, memories to last a life time. That is what I have been spending my money on. An investment to last me a life time.

primal215
3 point
3 point

Post by primal215 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:47 pm

The last to statements are very true but If you are hunting with a tag that took you 10 or more years to draw then there is a need to know how to judge a buck on the hoove. I drew a tag that took me 11 years to get, its almost a once in a life time tag so I need to know how to judge a once in a lifetime buck.

sewing
Spike
Spike

Post by sewing » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:06 pm

NotEnufTags wrote:Sewing,

I realize that you have the tag of a lifetime. You are probably very nervous that you'll come home with a buck that doesn't meet the expectations of your peers or your own expectations. That said, I would ask yourself what type of buck have you been realistically pursueing for the last several hunts (years). What type of buck would make you feel like you've accomplished your next hunting goal. That will be a trophy. There are alot of B&C type bucks on the Henry's. My neighbor was down there three weeks ago. Even this late in the shed hunting season he picked up 13 separate sides that were over 80" Those are all 185" + bucks. He saw a live buck that would go 220" and several 190" deer. He also said that when the rifle hunt comes around that many of the tag holders have up to 20 of their friends out glassing for them and that the deer get pushed hard from where you scout them unless you have found a remote spot.
Great Post NotEnuf!!

I'm not so much worried about my peers, as I am in making the most of great mule deer country. I would like to get a B&C buck, but I'm not obsessed with it. Just trying to put the bar high, so that I will hold out when I see a nice, but not real nice, buck.

I have heard about the pressure down there and I'm scouting for a plan A, and plan B. I always hike anyway, but if they get pushed hard, my plan B is to go in further where most peeps won't hike. I will be scouting out plan B this weekend.

I will keep you all posted.

BowBum
Fawn
Fawn

Post by BowBum » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:50 pm

Big muleys have always been a trophy to me. I like to measure the deer by how much skill it takes to harvest him. And of course how savy the deer is. When you get all of them to come together its usually a pretty good deer (antler size) and a burn of a good feeling. Anyone can shoot a 2-point from the road but it takes a hunter to kill a good deer.
Mons Montis Vir