Game Cart

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
wymuley
Fawn
Fawn

Game Cart

Post by wymuley » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:12 am

Do you guys use game carts? If so, which features are the best to look for?

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Re: Game Cart

Post by AGCHAWK » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:46 am

I do not own one but used one while hog hunting in California. The guy I was hunting with had one and I'll tell ya, it sure made the drag out 10x easier!

However, the country I hunt out here isn't really suitable for them. My muley hunts are usually on STEEP rocky hillsides and my whitetail hunts are in thick cover. Neither of which is condusive to dragging a cart around.

Snake River Marksman
3 point
3 point

Post by Snake River Marksman » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:44 pm

Solid tires because of cactus spines. My pneumatic wheel barrow tires were trashed by cactus spines. Heavy spokes or solid spokes to keep brush and or branches out of the spokes.
Stupidity is expensive

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:33 pm

I've used I believe this same one...

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... ISO-8859-1

And it all depends on the terrain on how well it'll work of if you can use it at all. But if you can use it, it's saves time and LOTS of energy for sure. :thumb

Probably more often than not, I HAVE NOT used it but when I needed it....was very handy.

Livn-Lg
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Livn-Lg » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:12 pm

solid wheels (no flats), preferible removable for ease of transport. The wheels should be centered as much as possible where the game will be carried for weight distribution purposes (hard to lift and pull vs. just pull). Watch ground clearance and width for ease in area hunting. Hope this helps.
2006 Hoyt Trykon XL

Hesitation, The difference between immortality and kleenex

ABert

Post by ABert » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:18 pm

We have been using these for the past few years (sorry for such a long link):

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... ISO-8859-1

As mentioned, the country we hunt in is not practical to use a cart but these sleds work great. We normally leave it in the vehicle and someone has to retrieve it but they can be toted as you hunt. Weighs next to nothing and can be carried though might be a little cumbersome.

We've hauled out elk and deer uphill, downhill and on flat land. Toughest is pulling them out on a slope. We've also found it works best if you have an extra body to grab the rear legs and "steer" from the back.
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.

sneekeepete
Monster
Monster

Post by sneekeepete » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:24 pm

I have never shot and animal where I could actually use one of these. If I draw out for antelope or other hunts away from my stomping grounds I might actually use one though. They look like they would be great if you had fairly mild terrain. If you didn't mind packin that sled that abert posted about then it would be too bad either.
SNEEKEEPETE
OIF Vet.
Sgt Petersen USMC
Colossians 1:27,28

Buckskin Bandit
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Buckskin Bandit » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:21 am

make sure it is compatible with or comes with wheel covers to avoid things getting tangled/lodged in the spokes.....

oh and also make sure it comes with a little seat and 8 huskies to pull it for you-mush!!! Even a couple umpa loompas, well sounds good anyway!!!! Gonna take a cple friends and you buying the beer! Good luck in 09 everyone!

Dlove
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Dlove » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:53 pm

Ive seen guys use a plain old bike. You can get small racks over the tires & also tie quarters off to frame and simply walk beside the bike. This way you can get into narrower areas. Plus most folks have a bike laying around or can pick up a cheapy at a pawn shop. Just a thought.