Old School Hunters Code

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
Lookin 4 a Big 1
Fawn
Fawn

Old School Hunters Code

Post by Lookin 4 a Big 1 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:28 am

I am new to the site and have hunted for over thirty years. Wow, that kind of makes me feel old, even if I'm in my forties. The site has not been a disappointment and I've been surprised. The quality of hunters on this site and their willingness to help out a fellow hunter has been great. Thanks to Jeff, Dahlmer, Joe, Jason, and others; you guys are great. 10sign:

I'm getting ready to go on a Book Cliffs scouting trip. To say that these guys have been helpful to me is an understatement. In return I was able to give 2 of them some thoughts about the country that they are going to hunt this year. Info about the same country that I have hunted before. Info that I hope will fill their tag with a quality Buck.

I know that if we all take the time to pass it forward, we all will benefit. That's what being a hunter is all about. Helping each other. Some people have tried to turn this sport into an everyman for himself event. A sport where money and power rule. They are missing out on what is truly important. If it's every man for himself, then nobody would enjoy or comment on our pictures after a successful hunt. That's half the fun of it; Sharing it with others. Think of the thrill and pride that you have, when a fellow hunter says "Nice Buck" or "Atta Boy, That's A Good One". Nobody thinks that you should draw a map to your honey hole! That's not what I'm talking about. Pointing a guy in the right direction, giving a fellow hunter your thoughts or a helping hand should always be one of our top priorities. Stopping to help a hunter in trouble, even if it means we will lose an hour of daylight, or get there an hour after sunup is important. It maybe hard, but its importance defines our sport and ourselves as hunters.

Last, the responsibility to teach our youth to love and respect the outdoors is a must"
To those of us receiving help from others, "Don't Waste It"
To those who post helpful comments or help other hunters in need, "My hat's off to ya".
Family, Friends, and Big Mule Deer Bucks!!!! Those thoughts always bring me a smile!
If someone has helped you out, make sure that you pay it forward.
That's all I'm saying.... I think that the future of our sport depends on it.

Posted is a buck that I shot. I came across this buck while in the process of helping out a fellow hunter. If I had not been willing to go out of my way to help this hunter, I never would have been at the "right place at the right time" required for me to harvest this buck.
I do love me some “Huntin Karma”.

Thanks again, GOOD Hunting!!!!
( L4AB1 )
Attachments
PICT0258_0009 - Copy.jpg
PICT0258_0009 - Copy.jpg (3.2 KiB) Viewed 5562 times
Marty buck compressed.jpg
Marty buck compressed.jpg (24.63 KiB) Viewed 5568 times
Last edited by Lookin 4 a Big 1 on Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AntlersOutWest
4 point
4 point

Re: Old School Hunters Code

Post by AntlersOutWest » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:22 pm

Well said my friend :thumb
Impressive buck too!

I also agree this sight has very benifical to myself as well. I cant thank all of you enough for all your positive comments and advice.

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:22 pm

AntlersOutWest wrote:Well said my friend :thumb
Impressive buck too!

I also agree this sight has very benifical to myself as well. I cant thank all of you enough for all your positive comments and advice.

Agreed! There is no other site on the web with the quality of folks we have here.

Conrad8899
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Conrad8899 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:56 pm

Well said. I cant adgree more.

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:00 pm

Well said my friend
Impressive buck too!

+1 a BIG thanks to all of your contributions.

Buckskin Bandit
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Buckskin Bandit » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:09 pm

Great point, well said and I hope that we all agree to this and abide by it. Even when it hurts your own hunt you should always help others in need. When I go hunting- each and every time - I notice the difference in the way people are from just another camping trip or something.
There is a bond and comradery between hunters that I don't see with most other outdoor sports. As a group I think that we do very well at sharing and helping others but I feel it cannot be said enough. I like that about hunting karma. I think it does indeed work. I have helped and been helped in the hills and it's a good feeling either way.
The one thing I think we could do better at though is making new friends on the mountian. We all go in our groups, family or tight knit friends but hey let's open up our camp and have dinner or a beer with people that are camped close to you. They just might become a new partner in your group and bring on their own new stories and knowledge. I don't know anyone who feels that there should be a limit to how many you go with , truly the more the merrier and each of us bring alot of value to the table. Good luck on your tags this year everyone!!!!

Jeff
2 point
2 point

Post by Jeff » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:24 pm

I've got to agree with you on the quality of people on this site, and pretty much everything else you wrote. I wholeheartedly believe in karma, whether it be hunting karma or any other kind. Helping our fellow man brings its own rewards, some now, some later. My 12 year old started showing a little interest in hunting as of late so I'm taking him with me on the hunt this year for the first time ever and to say I'm excited is an understatement. I went on my first deer hunt when I was 12, first year my mom and step-dad were married, and I'll never forget it. thanks for the post Marty.
Jeff

sawsman
2 point
2 point

Post by sawsman » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:48 pm

Great post! I also couldnt agree more..

Knowledge is meant to be passed on, good on ya. I hope you kill a monster out there!
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing it, dosen't go away."-Philip K. Dick

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Post by Springville Shooter » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:45 pm

This reminds me of a hunt that I was on several years ago in the wilderness in Northeastern California. I was napping in camp after a 7mile hike on the day before the hunt. I was awakened by gunfire and ran out of my tent to see a father and son target practicing at a paper plate fastened to a tree just outside our camp. After asking what the burn they were doing they replied that they just wanted to make sure that their rifles were still on for the hunt. Needless to say we were less that happy and went back to camp tongue in cheek. That night it snowed about two feet and the opener found us not able to get far out of camp. The next day the sun came out and I was able to take a really nice buck above camp. I was able to drag the buck to within 100yds of camp where there was a slight uphill pull. Exhausted I faught against the snow until I was bushed. I saw that our neighbors the target practicers were still in camp huttled around a pathetic fire. I asked if they would help me drag the buck and the father said " nah, we're not interested." In shock I went back to dragging my buck one foot at a time until I got it up into camp where I could work on it at my leasure. That night it snowed another foot and the rest of my party decided to call it quits. After loading our packs the next morning, we headed up the trail past their camp. I was suprised to see the father coming out to meet us on the trail." you guys got any food you can leave, we're kind of runnin short." I was floored that his guy had the nerve to ask for food after refusing to help me drag my buck when I was so tired. Everyone looked at me and the looks turned to suprise when I replied that we had some food that we would be glad to give them. The look in his eyes told me that he was truly in need and that he was sorry for his ignorance. As we hiked out of the wilderness, we talked about the situation and our whole group was upbeat over being able to help and make the best of what started out as a bad situation. I often wondered how that trip would have turned out if I had followed my first instinct and told him to shove it. I am thankful for a moment of thoughtfulness on my part and hope that one day that guy and his son will repay that favor to someone, somewhere who needs it. -shooter
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"-----Col. Townsend Whelen

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:27 pm

THIS is what hunting needs to be like. far less talk of scores and such, and way more about c Camaraderie { o.k. i butched that word---- someone spell it right for me if you could lol }

i can remeber the days of being 16 -18. me and my cousin spent every second we could in the woods. it never failed- about once a week we would get stuck in his 2 wheel drive ranger. i cant count the times we were picked up on are 20 mile walk to town by some great outdoorsman.

on my backpack hunt this year, a guy i have never met before and was talking to on the trailhead. was obviously a little worried about me going by myself. he was polite enough to give me great directions to his camp and told me if i had any problems at all, to come and get them for help. THAT is what hunting is about!
Last edited by killerbee on Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.