Am I being too paranoid about my bear mount?

Talk related to anything & everything.
AntlersOutWest
4 point
4 point

Re: Am I being too paranoid about my bear mount?

Post by AntlersOutWest » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:49 pm

huntindad-
I did not have a outfitter. The bear was in my possession for a day before I took him straight to the taxidermist. from then on out who knows.
Thanks for all your comments..
If it was switched out theres nothing I can do about it.. Still makes me angry tho

NONYA
Monster
Monster

Post by NONYA » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:53 pm

Hide was probably switched at the tannery,some of them have a knack for messin S%^$ up.

WinMag
3 point
3 point

Post by WinMag » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:39 pm

My opinion is that it's not the same bear. I would definitely investigate further.

amp713
2 point
2 point

Post by amp713 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:43 pm

AntlersOutWest wrote:huntindad-
I did not have a outfitter. The bear was in my possession for a day before I took him straight to the taxidermist. from then on out who knows.
Thanks for all your comments..
If it was switched out theres nothing I can do about it.. Still makes me angry tho

I dont think you should give in so easily on this. I would def investagate further who knows maybe someone else is wondering what happened to that bright muzzle that brought there attention to the bear they shot. Ya you may not get anywhere with it but if your not willing to take the risk you will never know.
Do not follow where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. -Ralph Waldo Emerson

ABert

Post by ABert » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:06 pm

I had something similiar happen to me with a deer mount a few years ago. I was overseas at the time and my brother picked up the mount from the taxi. It was somewhat of a unique buck as it was a true 6X6 (three forks) with a kicker on each side. Well, my brother picked up a 6X6 with a kicker on each side but questioned it once he got it home. Just didn't seem to have the mass nor the size. He sent me pictures and sure enough it wasn't the same deer. Went back to the taxi with pictures in hand and came to find out that he gave my deer to another guy who had shot a 6X6, too.

Long story short, the taxi called the other guy and said I gave you the wrong mount. The guy responded that he didn't recall his deer having as much mass or size and had no problem getting his deer and bringing mine back.

Moral of the story, bring your pictures in and it may have been an honest mistake. You just might get your bear back, providing it wasn't made into a rug already.
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.

sneekeepete
Monster
Monster

Post by sneekeepete » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:37 pm

ABert wrote: Moral of the story, bring your pictures in and it may have been an honest mistake. You just might get your bear back, providing it wasn't made into a rug already.
I think that is a good Idea. It sure doens't look like the same Bear to me.
SNEEKEEPETE
OIF Vet.
Sgt Petersen USMC
Colossians 1:27,28

NONYA
Monster
Monster

Post by NONYA » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:53 pm

Its not the same hide and I would raise burn untiol they make it right! ](*,) =;

The Ox
Monster
Monster

Post by The Ox » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:46 pm

geez tough spot! id say like everyone else bring the pics in! 6.5 ft to 5.4??? sounds like a pretty huge shrinkage. im no taxi but i cant imagin it shrinking a whole foot! id talk to the taxi! good luck hope it works out!
be sure to update your findings!

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:12 pm

where is BIG R? we need him to ask his wife, i believe she does taxi work??? if it wasn't my bear, i'd be raising burn.

a_bow_nut

Post by a_bow_nut » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:39 pm

AOW,

I wasn't aware that this was a fall hunt and no it shouldn't have changed that much. The others are right that the hide shouldn't have shrank that much. When we have measured our hides for taxidermy we always measure it right when it comes off the animal so that we know what size of form to order. When the hide gets back fron the tannery it will have shrunk some but with a little work it will streach back to it's origanl size.

It wouldn't hurt to ask your taxidermist what he thinks because it might just be a mix up.
Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell
the difference.