montana bans trail cameras??

Talk related to anything & everything.
killerbee

montana bans trail cameras??

Post by killerbee » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:51 pm

Got this from another site- is it true?

QUOTE :Just read on another site where Montana has banned the use of motion tracking devices and/or camera devices during any hunting season.
"It is illegal for a person to possess or use in the field any electronic or camera device who's purpose is to scout the location of game animals or relay the information on a game animal's location or movement during any Commission adopted hunting season" Page 10 of the regs.

Not sure if or when other Western states may adopt this rule but at least in Montana it appears that trail cams can still be used for scouting purposes prior to the hunting season.

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Re: montana bans trail cameras??

Post by AGCHAWK » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:12 am

Yup! I just read that this morning. I'm not a big trail cam guy so it doesn't really effect me either way.

What I would be most concerned with is the slow bleeding of our rights. They have banned trail cams...what's next?

sneekeepete
Monster
Monster

Post by sneekeepete » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:13 am

Honestly I think that is a good law to be put in place. I say that only because they are banned during hunting season. With some of the set ups these days that can send the pictures strait to your computer I think it takes most of the hunting out of the hunt. I do beleive people have the right to use them for scouting before hunting season as long as they do it within the law of course. So IMHO that was a good move on Montanas part.
SNEEKEEPETE
OIF Vet.
Sgt Petersen USMC
Colossians 1:27,28

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Post by Springville Shooter » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:39 am

I like it, I think Montana's got it right. Personally I don't like seeing trail cams everywhere while I'm hunting. Something about someone taking pics of me while I'm hunting gives me the urge to ultra mag their trail cam. I would never do this, but the thought has crossed my mind. IMO trail cams are a SCOUTING tool, and should not be used during open season. In my line of work, I install camera systems that control train switching yards and it would be pretty easy to set up cameras that would monitor a whole mountainside for game position and movement. I'm sure someone somewhere has already done this, but we definatley need laws to prohibit such activity before it starts. We are already on "film" too much in my opinion, the woods should be safe from the ever watching eye.-------shooter
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"-----Col. Townsend Whelen

lv2hunt
Fawn
Fawn

Post by lv2hunt » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:25 am

makes sense to me

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:27 am

Makes sense to me, I don't have a problem with banning them during hunting season...it's a bit out of control for some and will get worse. I still think they are fine pre-season for scouting. I just do it for fun right now for cool photos is all.

Tonoonyi
3 point
3 point

Post by Tonoonyi » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:13 pm

Pre-season for some is hunting season for others, it is just the beginning of making them illegal.

Some people abuse the technology, and it takes it away from the rest of us.
Keep your nose in the wind and your eyes along the skyline.

amp713
2 point
2 point

Post by amp713 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:59 am

tonoonyi has a good point. You may read that and think ok i can use it till my hunt starts. The way i read it its during any season. So you cant have one up once archery seasons start (late august) and since the animals move so much between that time and late season hunts you no longer are going to find a use for that camera. now i dont know if that rule applies to just big game but if it includes things like turkey season and other hunts of that caliber you will be leaving your camera at home more than in the mountains.
Do not follow where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. -Ralph Waldo Emerson

WinMag
3 point
3 point

Post by WinMag » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:41 am

With todays technology like smart phones etc. getting instant feedback from trail cameras while out hunting would be possible and I do not think that is right. MT is probably trying to get a control on this before they become more advanced. I do not own trail cameras and I have no problem with them as long as they are used legally.

waynedevore

Post by waynedevore » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:21 am

I'm some surprised that trail cams have become the type of problem where laws are being passed.

I don't know about you, but never dawned on me to mess with a trail cam while on a big game hunt or any other type hunt.

Having trail cams for off season wildlife viewing is just fine. :thumb