Simple question

Talk related to anything & everything.
bigbuck92
Monster
Monster

Simple question

Post by bigbuck92 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:07 pm

Figured i'd get a little debate going here. How would you all feel if they lowered the concealed carry age from 21 to 18?
Cody
Old hunters NEVER die,they just have better camo.

ABert

Re: Simple question

Post by ABert » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:05 pm

The same as I would if they dropped the legal drinking age back down to 18.

(stirring the pot!)
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.

sneekeepete
Monster
Monster

Post by sneekeepete » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:05 am

If you can join the military and vote at 18 why don't you have the right to conceal carry or drink if you so choose?
Just my .02
SNEEKEEPETE
OIF Vet.
Sgt Petersen USMC
Colossians 1:27,28

buckykm1
2 point
2 point

Post by buckykm1 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:32 am

sneekeepete wrote:If you can join the military and vote at 18 why don't you have the right to conceal carry or drink if you so choose?
Just my .02

DITTO.

Kevin

m gardner
Monster
Monster

Post by m gardner » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:47 am

You are a citizen at birth so that means you have the right to arm yourself at any age. The government making that right a privilege is illegal.

paladin
Spike
Spike

Post by paladin » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:12 am

m gardner wrote:You are a citizen at birth so that means you have the right to arm yourself at any age...
Children do not have the full panorama of Constitutional Rights because they do not have the mental capacity of an adult, and the courts recognize that fact. As for adults, even their U.S. Constitutional Rights must be balanced against the powers and authorities of the various states to act in the best interests of their population. Therefore we must be careful of the people that we let become S. Court Justices because they have great latitude to decide in favor of the states' restricting out Rights.

Under the current administration we have allowed an accumulation of five liberal justices. So the several issues posed above are not all that simple.

Pal
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun . . . it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks."

Thomas Jefferson, 1785

m gardner
Monster
Monster

Post by m gardner » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:34 am

The government only has what power we lend it at any given time. They really can't do much unless we give them the power. You cannot restict rights. You can bully the population through tyranny and the arguement for "the common good though". So My grandparents being wed at 12 and 15 and farming on their own made them adults? They would be considered children today. At that time you married as soon as possible so you would hopefully live ling enough to raise your children. Who gets to decide who is and who is not a child?

paladin
Spike
Spike

Post by paladin » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:58 am

m gardner wrote:The government only has what power we lend it at any given time. They really can't do much unless we give them the power. You cannot restict rights. You can bully the population through tyranny and the arguement for "the common good though". So My grandparents being wed at 12 and 15 and farming on their own made them adults? They would be considered children today. At that time you married as soon as possible so you would hopefully live ling enough to raise your children. Who gets to decide who is and who is not a child?
I'm just giving you the state of the law and the constitutional analysis. Restrictions on Constitutional Rights go back as far as Constitutional Rights. It has often been said, and correctly so, that one's Rights only go as far as the other guy's nose.

As to your grand parents, I'm sure that they were unusually talented, knowledgeable, skillful, and mature. Also they lived at a time and circumstance that they really did know about everything that they needed to know at their ages to get along well in society. Can you say the same for today.

I think that merely refusing to cooperate with "the government" may have dangerous consequences. I think that a better solution is to control our legislators, presidents, and the bureaucrats that execute the laws that are passed. I think that we need to group up, contribute and express our will, as the people in charge.

Oh, I almost forgot, as to your last question the answer is the legislatures of the various states and ultimately...the Supreme Court.

Paladin
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun . . . it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks."

Thomas Jefferson, 1785