ATV advise

Talk related to anything & everything.
Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

ATV advise

Post by Springville Shooter » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:04 pm

OK, so I think that my accountant wife is finally going to let me get an ATV. I plan to use it for hunting transportation as well as recreation. Also, I want to be able to use it to plow snow from my driveway. I have never been up on 4x4 ATV's. Banshees and other fast sand machines were always my thing, so I would like some good advise from my all-knowing brothers on Muley Madness. What should I get?------------SS
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"-----Col. Townsend Whelen

ABert

Re: ATV advise

Post by ABert » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:06 pm

If you were soley looking for something to hunt with...

I'd recommend a horse.

Otherwise, something that has 4X4 (of course) with locking front and rear diffs. I haven't followed what is currently available but that would be the minimum for me.
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.

ridgetop
Monster
Monster

Post by ridgetop » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:34 pm

I used to have a Honda 300 until I rolled it 1000' down the mountain and taking out a 12" diameter pine tree, which pushed the rear rack up onto the gas tank, tore off one front wheel completly out of the transmission and bent the rear axle 45 degrees. It was upside down when I got to it an hour later. Turned it over and the thing started right up and I was able to drive it out to the truck with a little help from 3 other guys. I was sold on Hondas and really wanted to get a Foreman next but then I recieved a 2006 Polaris 500 from my boss as a bonus and have fallen in love with the bike. I really like how smooth it rides over rocks and has good clearance. I also really like how the front rack has a little trunk space to keep things in, like your coat and cloves and even a soft gun case.
There's always next year

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Post by Springville Shooter » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:22 am

Won't be hunting from it, not my thing. Might use it on some bad roads to save the old pickup on the way to the trailhead. I'm not to old to hunt hard on foot yet, but I am to old to shovel my driveway for too many more winters. I have heard some good things about Polaris, might even be leaning that way.----------SS

waspocrew
4 point
4 point

Post by waspocrew » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:41 am

Honda definitely has a great reputation for making solid atv's. I have a 2004 Kawasaki Prairie 360 4x4 that is rock solid. It has push button 4x2/4x4, an engine brake control system for going down steep hills (saving your brakes), and quite a few other extras. I rolled it on an elk hunt and had to leave it for the night (I was too small to flip it right side up by myself). I shot a cow elk the next morning, had some help flipping the atv over and then carried my whole elk out on my atv. It's a very tough machine. Whatever you end up getting should be fine to plow the driveway. I would suggest getting an electric winch placed on the front so that you don't have to manually adjust the plow. That gets old really fast. Don't get pressured into getting some massive engine... I think some of them are offered in 800's these days. My 360 had plenty of guts to get any job done. Anyways, good luck with your decision and let us know what you get!

TheGreatwhitehunter

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:50 am

I have had both Yamaha and Honda 4 wheelers.

Honda hands down!!!
THE LORD IS MY ROCK

hardstalk
Spike
Spike

Post by hardstalk » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:49 pm

In my opinion now a days there all so comparable it just comes down to price. It's almost like comparing new diesel trucks. They all make good power and have great warranties when you buy new. It's just what fits your style the best. We personally have two artic cats 4 wheelers and the amount of after market attachments that are available will blow your mind ours are set up with double seats and back rests along with a dump bed that comes in handy for cleaning stalls and hauling hay and we have a snow plow on the front of one that works great. I would drive a few and see what kind of ride quality your lookin for and go from there.

M.Bird
3 point
3 point

Post by M.Bird » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:13 pm

if your need to get away from the road, a good pair of boots! if you need more than that horse!
Not sure how you are planing to us an ATV for hunting, transportation? you can if you want, I will walk or ride a horse

have a good day

The ATV HATER!!!!

M. Bird

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:27 pm

just in case anyone missed this the first time, i'll repeat it for springfield-- i'm sure he already owns a very nice pair of boots.

Springville Shooter wrote:Won't be hunting from it, not my thing. Might use it on some bad roads to save the old pickup on the way to the trailhead. I'm not to old to hunt hard on foot yet, but I am to old to shovel my driveway for too many more winters. I have heard some good things about Polaris, might even be leaning that way.----------SS

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Post by Springville Shooter » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:37 pm

M Bird, Just to clarify what I meant by hunting transportation. I have found a few roads in the new areas that I hunt in Utah that are legal and capable of full size vehicle travel, but with the ruts and rocks cmbined with about 10 miles of road, it makes for a hard trip on the pickup. I imagine it would be much easier on an ATV. I have done the horse thing and don't have the time to do it right at this point in my life. Once in the wilderness its all bootleather for me, just want an easier ride to the trailhead. I bet Jeff knows two of the trailheads that I'm thinking of. Hard duty for the pickup. So I guess that I meant that the ATV will be used to get me to where I want to hunt. Not to be confused with used to hunt from. Also, the road up to the place that I've been scouting all summer for Utah mule deer gets closed to full sized vehicles if theres mud or snow. It's about 12.5 miles and 4500ft in elevation gain to the top open to ATV travel. Too far for me or anybody else to walk. Trust me, I've always been skeptical of the ATV era of hunting, but I see some practical, ethical applications and have found myself wanting one lately. Also, we have a big group that joyrides as couples in our neighborhood and my wife has shown interest in that. Don't turn on me guys, I'm still an old-schooler like you, trust me. Please note that I have been hunting since the 1980's and this will be my first ATV.------------SS