Hunting Pet Peeves!!

Talk related to anything & everything.
GUTPYLZ
3 point
3 point

Hunting Pet Peeves!!

Post by GUTPYLZ » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:13 pm

I don't know if it's just me, but I wanted to express one of mine and hope you share yours as well. One of my biggest pet peeves, is when I watch a hunting show and the guide always grabs the rack before the person who shot it. I've always stood a distance and waited for the hunter to get there first. Is it just ME or does someone else feel the same way? I just feel it's the sacred time between a hunter and his game to give respect and admire.
Last edited by GUTPYLZ on Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Waste Is Unjustified, And Especially The Waste Of Time.
One Must Live, Not Only Exist.
One Must Do, Not Merrily Be.
One Must Grow, Not Vegetate."
SPENCER W. KIMBALL

sneekeepete
Monster
Monster

Re: Hunting Pet Peaves!!

Post by sneekeepete » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:36 am

I completely agree with that one. One of my worst pet peaves is this... When I am out hunting and I run into a hunter who has just made a kill and they have no idea what to do once they kill it. That happened to me in 2008. A "hunter" from california had shot a big 3x3, that he shot right up the butt and ruined an entire hind quarters was pacing back and forth next to his deer when I walked up to him. He asked me what he was supposed to do next. I was so disgusted I told him to gut it and drag it back to his truck and just left. Same day I ran into one of his buddies who had walk off a ridge below the road and got lost. He asked me how to get back to the road!!! So I guess my pet peave is "Hunters" who draw a tag and have no idea what they are doing. It is dangerous for them and a complete waste when they don't know how to take care of their game. :>/
SNEEKEEPETE
OIF Vet.
Sgt Petersen USMC
Colossians 1:27,28

BIG R
4 point
4 point

Post by BIG R » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:31 am

Gutpilz your exactly right.I have never touched one of my clients kills until they were ready for it to be taken care of,except this one time when I had a gentleman from California out on a hunt.This guy hadnt killed anything bigger than a forkinhorn his whole life so I located a 165-170 class 4x4 with a 5" dropper.He killed the buck,we walked up to it and he said what am I going to do with that thing,I dont want it, you can have it.He just shot the biggest buck of his life by far and it wasnt big enough.I couldnt even get him to take a pic with it.Its guys like this that have no respect for this sport and that is one of my biggest pet peaves.

NotEnufTags
Monster
Monster

Post by NotEnufTags » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:47 am

I realize that public land is just that, it belongs to the public. That said my pet peave is searching for a public land hunting spot, finding a nice deep hard to get to place, and having another camp set up right near you. I can live with other hunters. It's expected. What I hate is when the chain saw comes out or a kid sits and plinks all day long with a .22. Our camp in in the middle of awesome deer country. I've seen great bucks run through the area where this other camp sets up and acts as though they are miles from any deer. Again they can be there because its not my land. I just wish they would try to be a little more quiet.
"Some day I'll scout out a monster, spot him while hunting, make the stalk of a lifetime, and have dreams come true. 'Til then I'll be happy with the buck in my cross-hairs."

AzRednekRabbit
Spike
Spike

Post by AzRednekRabbit » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:01 am

I'm with notenoughtags. I hate when I put in a bunch of time and patience trying to be quiet, especially when bow hunting, and some numb skull comes tearing up and down the road on a quad. I'm not against using a quad while hunting but find a spot and get off the dang thing and walk or sit. Typically, I see the same guy or guys numerous times a day driving back and forth in the same area. Same goes for the people out there shooting their rifles or pistols all day just because they want to shoot. To each his own though. I just have to deal with it and do my best.
Coyote Overkill Squad

Nah, you ain't gotta be born out in the sticks
With an F150 or a .30-06
Or have a bubba in the family tree
To get on down with me!

sneekeepete
Monster
Monster

Post by sneekeepete » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:52 pm

Here is a funny story about hunting on public land. On the second day of the hunt last year I saw a great 4x4. He was quartering up a side hill that was so steep it was no vegitation. Well I kneeled down to take a shot and I didn't even think that with my muzzle elevated so much that it brought my scope to almost touching my eye. Well in the excitement I didn't even think to adjust for the angle and shot right over his back as well as split my head open. Needless to say I ran into another hunter about 30 minutes later with blood all over my face and and down my shirt. lol. The guy was all freaked out and kept asking if I was ok and if I could make it back to camp alone. Here is a pick of my dad cleanin me up once we met back up.
Attachments
SANY0583.JPG
SNEEKEEPETE
OIF Vet.
Sgt Petersen USMC
Colossians 1:27,28

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:36 pm

my biggest pet peeve. ROAD HUNTERS!!!! :>/
2nd on my list: people who think they can take 80 yrd shot with a bow on big game :>/
3rd: people who bag on other for shooting small animals [ meat hunters] :>/
4th: ticks that think it's o.k. to crawl on me :>/
5th: oh i'll stop there
BIG R wrote:Gutpilz your exactly right.I have never touched one of my clients kills until they were ready for it to be taken care of,except this one time when I had a gentleman from California out on a hunt.This guy hadnt killed anything bigger than a forkinhorn his whole life so I located a 165-170 class 4x4 with a 5" dropper.He killed the buck,we walked up to it and he said what am I going to do with that thing,I dont want it, you can have it.He just shot the biggest buck of his life by far and it wasnt big enough.I couldnt even get him to take a pic with it.Its guys like this that have no respect for this sport and that is one of my biggest pet peaves.
that is a pretty bad one too.

AzRednekRabbit
Spike
Spike

Post by AzRednekRabbit » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:40 pm

Coming to theaters near you, Sneekeepete is..... Scopeface.

I think a lot of us have had to learn that lesson the hard way. I know I've busted my eye pretty good with my rifle. I have a buddy with a bad scar from it and we actually call him Scopeface all the time. We're rough on the poor fella.
Coyote Overkill Squad

Nah, you ain't gotta be born out in the sticks
With an F150 or a .30-06
Or have a bubba in the family tree
To get on down with me!

NotEnufTags
Monster
Monster

Post by NotEnufTags » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:01 pm

Thanks for the story Sneekee Pete. Your not alone. I watched the Eastman's DVD "Due North" last week. Ike Eastman take a very steep angled shot at a mountian goat and splits his eye. His is on a DVD for all to see. That should make you feel a little better.

No scope eye for me yet but I have felt the action of a .45 smack my thumb when the second hand of my two hand grip was a bit too high.
"Some day I'll scout out a monster, spot him while hunting, make the stalk of a lifetime, and have dreams come true. 'Til then I'll be happy with the buck in my cross-hairs."

kinzysdad
3 point
3 point

Post by kinzysdad » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:29 pm

For xmas my 14 year old son got a 270 wsm synthetic. Two weekends ago we were out at the ranch and he wanted to put a few shells through it. After his 6th shot he was hitting around 2 inches at 100 yards, Not bad I thought. When I looked down at him ( I was spotting for him) He had a huge welt over his right eye. Man did I laugh, no blood, just a welt.

So big old tough dad wants a turn, I've never shot and it looks a whale of a good time to shoot. Now mind you, I shoot a 7 mag and have for years. How bad could it be? I wish I had a camera that day, we both got scope bit by that hideous monstrocity. Thats what I get for laughing at him. :thumb
when the crow dips, you have luck sometimes maybe.