Montana Whitetails

Talk anything related to Whitetail or Coues Deer
jsc
Fawn
Fawn

Montana Whitetails

Post by jsc » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:38 am

Hey guys,
Me and my dad were fortunate enough to draw a deer combination tag and are looking forward to the opportunity to hunt whitetails. We have both taken mule deer before, but neither of us have taken a whitetail. We are hoping for the chance at some decent bucks. If there is any advise or tips that you might be willing to share it would be greatly appreciated. I am not looking for your honey holes, just some places to start my research and narrow it down. I am planning on sometime in the middle of November. I understand that alot of whitetail country resides on private property and we are willing to pay a tresspass fee if it is reasonable. PM me if you would be willing to share your experience about Montana whitetail hunting and hunting access.

Thanks,
Curt

BIG R
4 point
4 point

Re: Montana Whitetails

Post by BIG R » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:31 pm

Check out eastern MT and all of the block management areas,there are alot of them.That should give you a good place to start :thumb

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:44 pm

BIG R wrote:Check out eastern MT and all of the block management areas,there are alot of them.That should give you a good place to start :thumb
I agree with BIG R. There are numerous spots across Eastern Montana. You didn't mention what area(s) you were lookin' at or where more interested in than others. Maybe if you narrow it down we can help ya out a bit more.

Good luck and keep us posted.

waynedevore

Post by waynedevore » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:02 pm

MAN! I don't know where to begin. Eastern MT for sure. Ag land mostly. Not like the Eastern states WT, MT WT are in river bottoms, crop land and CRP. DO NOT! look for WT in river breaks or badlands or sage hills. Just don't like the desert type country.

However, that thick vegetation mountainous country of extreme NW MT is some pretty good WT country. That is the exception however, most of the dryer type mountainous habitat to the East holds few WT.

PM me if you like more info.

jsc
Fawn
Fawn

Post by jsc » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:49 pm

I was hoping to try the eastern portion of the state, however I heard that they had a bad outbreak of blue tongue. What do you guys think are the chances of still getting a decent buck in eastern montana?. Also is it pretty difficult to get access over there? Thanks again for your help.

Curt

BIG R
4 point
4 point

Post by BIG R » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:59 pm

The outbreak was years ago and I have seen plenty of good respectible bucks coming out of there :thumb

SHANE(WA)
Spike
Spike

Post by SHANE(WA) » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:34 am

For giants, NW MT

BIG R
4 point
4 point

Post by BIG R » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:08 am

The last few years NW MT has had major issues with cats and wolves.A couple friends of mine hunted for a solid week up there and could not find a single shooter but thats not to say theres one lurking somewhere :thumb

muleywannabe
2 point
2 point

Post by muleywannabe » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:43 pm

give Rod Pasche a call at sizzlin S' outfitters, he has a ton of private land and some giant whitetails!!!