rattled up a buck for the EOTech cameras

Talk anything related to Whitetail or Coues Deer
Guess
Fawn
Fawn

rattled up a buck for the EOTech cameras

Post by Guess » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:34 pm

I got to spend last weekend with John Bailey of EOTech trying to get his first Texas buck. We hunted our tails off in cold weather and just couldn't find the buck we wanted, but we saw a ton of deer. The last day it was windy as heck, close to 40mph winds and hot! We had our doubts, so we decided to watch a feeder that was tucked out of the wind. We both hate sitting watching feeders, but we saw lots of bucks. Little did we know there was a hot doe hid in the brush. We did notice that the bucks kept staring in that direction. A nice buck finally pushed her out just long enough that we could see them both, we just couldn't both get on him at the same time with camera and gun. At 8:30 we quit seeing deer and decided to do some rattling. We went to the truck, got rid of some gear and picked up my rattling antlers. We dropped off in the dry creek bed that ran behind the feeder about a half mile farther up. We went about a quarter mile and sat up, rattled a few times, nothing. We moved farther up the creek some more and when we came up out of the creek bed we pushed some does up out of a bed. I told John to get set up. I did a snort wheeze, rattled and grunted. Within seconds we saw a buck coming. We sized him up, got him on video and john put him down! He was a good buck to cull. He had five on one side and didn't grow a brow tine on the other. He did have 3 good tines on that side and a burr point that looked like a crab claw growing down almost into his head. In the last hour of our hunt John got his buck, time to head to the airport.
field editor Boar Hunter Magazine and Los Cazadores

fieldstaff for FOXPRO and BOGgear

sponsored by EOTech

halibutaddict
Spike
Spike

Re: rattled up a buck for the EOTech cameras

Post by halibutaddict » Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:56 am

Did anyone tell you this is a muley site Guess?Just given you a hard time,thought you would be out hunting PREDATORS this time of year not hunting wt over feeders on high fence ranchs? lol

Guess
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Guess » Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:06 am

I HATE SITTING WATCHING FEEDERS BAD ENOUGH, I CAN PROMISE THERE WILL NOT BE ANY FENCES.
You know I've never had enything against others hunting fenced places, it just aint for me. I like to call'em in!
field editor Boar Hunter Magazine and Los Cazadores

fieldstaff for FOXPRO and BOGgear

sponsored by EOTech

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:15 am

Congrats, looks like fun.