baiting deer

Talk anything related to Whitetail or Coues Deer
TommyColey
Spike
Spike

Re: baiting deer

Post by TommyColey » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:22 am

Ok here I go.

I live in the east. and baiting is legal so I do it. If you have never done it you would be suprized to find out that it is not as easy as you might think.

If you video hunt on your own haveing the camera pointed at your bait helps.
also here if you don't bait your chances go way down because the 3 guy's on the next farm do.

I don't make the rules but I do follow them. If it's legal then do it. if it's not then don't

in some situations it may be the onlyway to have a chance.

you would not go fishing with a bare hook would you ????

As for the question, Hear in NC I used to set baits up months in advance, but scince I started to use trail camera's I have found that if you put your bait in a place the deer wants to be anyway that they get on it very quckly many times the same day I start.

I hardly ever start a bait more than a week or 2 before I'm going to hunt it.
remember the wind!! and they don't come all the time.
We use corn & apples.

SHANE(WA)
Spike
Spike

Post by SHANE(WA) » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:11 am

I hope anyone who is against baiting has never sat on a field, wallow, apple tree, used any scent or calls, its all the same, fooling senses and bringing game to you. I will take a guy with a bow shooting a spike deer anyday over someone with a rifle and a scope blasting a deer or elk at 400 yards, real challenging lol oh wait someone said get out and put some miles on your boots, so what u can sit on a vantage point and watch 1,000 yards around you? lol give me a break.

jerseyelknut
Spike
Spike

Post by jerseyelknut » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:58 pm

I also live in a state where baiting is legal, we don't do it all the time, but it is a tactic we use. I hunt a farm that almost has a "quota", if we don't kill a certain number of deer, we may get tossed. I understand that not everybody supports it, but it's not a slam dunk like people may think. Here in NJ we can kill over 100 deer per season if we wanted to help cull the herd, that is why they legalized baiting. The available terrain also has to be considered, it's not like we can hike to a high vantage point and glass. There are many different factors to consider, so before judgments are made, please consider all the circumstances.

Shane-you've got a great point there, my friends out here don't understand why I won't take a rifle out west, it's not about the kill, it's about the challenge.

And being a true "Easterner", I've got to get speak my mind, I don't know if everyone will agree, but this is my opinion. Us "Easterners" contribute quite a bit to the economies of the Western hunting states and I know there are some people out here that give us a bad name but most "Easterners" that are on here are here for a reason, so please don't stereotype.

I bait in NJ because I can, but I look forward to hunting out west every chance I get because of the challenge. If it weren't for my family and business, I would have moved out there after my first elk trip. Thanks for listening.

rickertj
Fawn
Fawn

Post by rickertj » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:06 pm

Try one of those NAPA oil filters with some peanut butter on it. :thumb

MNbogboy
Spike
Spike

Post by MNbogboy » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:01 am

Where we hunt in WI baiting is legal....What an abomination to the sport!
Where we hunt in MN baiting is done illegally....These guys do not belong in the hunting fraternity!

I don't know what it is like for the hunters out east in the vast metro of cities...but I am pretty sure...The baiters out there have no desire to learn the lore of the woods either or to teach their children ethics of the sport and the heritage of our forefathers......If you ask a twelve year old in Wisconson "What do deer eat?"...95% of them will answer "Corn.".....

It is a sad thing that states have allowed baiting....It really is hurting our sport and pastime...It is nothing but fuel for the anti-hunters....And that fact alone should make real hunters like the majority on this site take a stand against the use of bait in all states......

Last thought....A good analagy of a baiter shooting over corn is like a game warden hiding in the bushes with his deer decoy.....Both have no real savy to catch their prey in a natural enviroment......

Randy
WI Hunter Education Instructor since 1984.
Be safe and courteous and your luck will be great.

TommyColey
Spike
Spike

Post by TommyColey » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:47 am

some people just can't see the whole thing.

Come on down to NC and hunt in my pine trees.
Don,t use any bait!!!!
At the end of the season I'll boil the water for your tag soup.

MNbogboy
Spike
Spike

Post by MNbogboy » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:17 pm

On the contrary TommyColey, I do understand your predicament...In WI the same thing has happened to virtually everbody....Baiters have attracted and concentrated deer away from once productive areas (even on the public lands which I hunt exclusively).....I also understand where there are large parcels of private land the problem is much worse as in your case.....On public lands we often are able to find these pockets of deer and roust them out....Not the way I like to hunt but it is the only way we are able to move deer back into their normal habitat....This makes a lot more work than natural hunting used to be....If I was in your predicament I would find another place to hunt or save my money and hunt in another state......

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion.... If you think baiting is OK because it is legal then so be it.....I voice my opinion because I firmly believe our rights and privelages are in jeopardy.....Baiting everywhere has been used as negative propaganda towards our sport and heritage.....Please consider the negative impact that baiting has before you dump your next bucket of corn....

IMHO,
Randy
WI Hunter Education Instructor since 1984.
Be safe and courteous and your luck will be great.

jerseyelknut
Spike
Spike

Post by jerseyelknut » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:10 pm

Our rights and privileges are in jeopardy whether we bait or not. The anti's are more involved with baiting bears than baiting whitetails. I do agree that we do not need to fuel their fire, they have even started showing up at our fishing tournaments, saying that the bait we use is suffering, but I also believe that different locations sometimes call for different tactics. There are places that I hunt in NJ that we need to bait to keep deer away from houses to put them in a legal range to shoot. There are also places that we use no bait and hunt deer naturally. In NJ we can legally take up to 135 deer, whether we use bait or not, so what's the difference.
As far as people not teaching the ethics of the sport and the heritage of our forefathers, that is a difference of opinion. The education and continuation of this sport depends on the next generation of outdoorsmen/women. As long as they are educated and informed properly, they will eventually be able to make their own decisions and judgements as to what is right or wrong.
I hunt regularly in three states, in NJ I bait under certain circumstances, in PA I do not bait, in NY, I have been hunting over food plots. When my children are old enough, I will be sure to educate them on the reasons I do what I do in those three states, and take them out west as soon as it is feasible to expose them to the western style of hunting. The education of the next generation is dependent upon the educator, not the laws of his/her state.

sneekeepete
Monster
Monster

Post by sneekeepete » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:22 am

jerseyelknut wrote: The education of the next generation is dependent upon the educator, not the laws of his/her state.
+1
Even if certain tactics are illegal there are going to be people that use them. They are making that personal choice to do so and this will always be the case. :>/ We as sportsman can disagree with one another all we want on these issues and voice our oppinions on these matters. IMHO the best thing we can do is help educate the younger generations as best we can on ethical hunting practices. There are so many different variable between hunting areas that I can't even describe them. I grew up in Utah and am now stuck in North Carolina. I have never agreed with baiting animals but I have had my eyes open to the differences between the two places. I don't have nearly the problem with people baiting whitetails out here as I do with them running them with their dogs. You want to talk about unethical and unsafe hunting meet me this November during the rifle hunt and I will take you the Croatan National Forest and we will sit in a tree stand and watch the dogs run deer back and forth through the public lands from dawn to dusk. Here there is no such thing as a quiet stand of woods in November. I would be estatic if they outlawed the dog hunting and people turned to "just baiting"!!! Just some of my thoughts on this issue.
SNEEKEEPETE
OIF Vet.
Sgt Petersen USMC
Colossians 1:27,28

TommyColey
Spike
Spike

Post by TommyColey » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:16 pm

I don't know if baiting deer is an etical delimia or not. I do know that it is not aganst the law to do it here. and it has been all my life. NC is the only place that I bait. and I only hunt here because this is where I live and ILOVE TO HUNT! there are about a 1000 places better to deer hunt.

I have hunted in 15 differnt states & 2 Canada provences. I have hunted over other bait put out by other people for me to hunt over where leagle I have hunted over corn fields, food plots, acorn trees, grape vines, all kinds of fruit trees, wheat fields, bean fields, and any other food sorce that I thought a deer might come too. To me it all seems the same I am looking to ambush that deer at dinner. I also hunt beeding areas and funnels and staging areas before they come to dinner.
It's all hunting.

I do feel for you Pete and the dog hunting I live in the NW zone of NC and dog hunting is not illegle here.

I have done it, I do not really care for it. For some of thsoe guy's it is more about the dogs and traditions than it is the deer.

When it's all said and done I just love to hunt, some ways more than others I really enjoy sitting in a tree stand. I'm just trying to learn how to do the spot and stalk thing out west.

Pete, I did not mean to over look that PM it's just sometimes I am away from the computer for long periods of time. I would love to talk to you about deer hunting some time.