nightfishing?

Talk anything related to 'all kinds' of fishing.
Sponsored by: http://www.troutjournal.com
maintguy47
3 point
3 point

nightfishing?

Post by maintguy47 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:25 pm

I've never fished for rainbows or browns at night. I'm gonna hit a couple of lakes next week and was wondering if those critters bite at night in case I get bored after sun down. Thinking about sinking some salmon eggs or power bait. Whata ya'll think?

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Re: nightfishing?

Post by AGCHAWK » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:10 pm

It think that it probably depends on the location, water type, clarity, time of year, etc.

I do know that out here catfishing is best at night but most other species are better fished for during daylight. (Trout, crappie, bluegill, etc)

Bass seem to strike most often in the early morning and right before sunset. Steelhead fishing is the same way also...it slows way down during the light of day but heats up at sunrise, through the night, and into the early morning.

With all of that being said, knowing what fish do when the sun is beating down on the water, what temps they prefer, what they feed on or prefer, etc all increase the odds no matter what time of day or night.

Terttu
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Terttu » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:45 am

maintguy47 wrote:I've never fished for rainbows or browns at night. I'm gonna hit a couple of lakes next week and was wondering if those critters bite at night in case I get bored after sun down. Thinking about sinking some salmon eggs or power bait. Whata ya'll think?
I like to fish off the bottom for catfish and with a bobber for bass.Not often but sometimes I use a bobber for catfishin.under the bobber I use chicken or turkey liver ( for cats) and nightcrawlers ( panfish suck as bluegill and rockbass and perch) and shiners ( or minnows ) for bass or catfish.Off the bottom I use chicken liver, cut up panfish , or doughbait ( which u can get at walmart in the sports section or cabelas or bass pro even.)overall . For night fishing I prefer bottom with a slip sinker And a swivel to stop it. Also get minnows at cabelas or sometimes if it's a big lake , there are bait shops at the marina .Sometimes I wouldn't risk it though, so try cabelas.

a_bow_nut

Post by a_bow_nut » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:13 pm

I have caught alot of trout fishing at night. Most of the time we use the same baits that people use during the day and have had some sucess using glow in the dark jigs tipped with a piece of nightcrawler.

The way that we like to rig up for night fishing is to put a sliding sinker on above the swivel and whatever set up below the swivel. After we cast out and the sinker is on the bottom we will get our pole set and the line tight and then put a bobber on the line in between the first set of eyelets on the pole so that the line can slid through it then pull the bobber down about a foot or two. This will give you some time to see that there is a bite at the other end of the line with out the fish feeling the weight of the line or the pole and have them take off.
Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell
the difference.

lowcountrykiller
Fawn
Fawn

Post by lowcountrykiller » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:41 pm

dont use artificials at night. fish go by smell when they cant see as good. fishing at night is one of the best times to fish in my opinion. they bite all night clear into the morning. get familiar about the moon phases