Wyoming lopes

Talk anything related to Antelope
muzzhunter
Spike
Spike

Wyoming lopes

Post by muzzhunter » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:11 pm

Me and a couple friends were talking about trying to pick up some reduced price doe and leftover buck tags next year. I've never looked into this type of hunt before. Anyone have any experiences they'd share or advise as far as units to look at or ranches or places to look for? Not looking for trophies, just a good time with the chance for some decent bucks. Hoping to keep it fairly inexpensive as my friends have never done any out of state hunting before.
Thanks,
Dave

hound_hunter
Monster
Monster

Re: Wyoming lopes

Post by hound_hunter » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:56 pm

Wyoming is easy for leftover tag Antelope. When the time comes, just find the list of units with leftover tags, pick out an area you want to hunt the most, and have a blast! Almost any of the units are fine if you're not picky on trophy quality, you'll love it. Good luck!

If you want to up your chances on getting whatever unit is closest to your home or anything like that, you might as well consider putting in for the draw. There's usually a good chance you'll draw a tag you want, then if not, just buy a leftover tag somewhere else like you would have anyway.

TexasHunter83
2 point
2 point

Post by TexasHunter83 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:47 pm

Get on Wyoming Game and Fish website and find out the date that the left-overs go on sale. They're pretty easy to obtain but I would get on that same morning at 8:00 A.M. and order your tags. They tend to go pretty quickly; the buck tags that is. The doe tags hang around for a while. I even bought a $40 whitetail doe tag in case I saw any. We went to unit 21 southwest of Kaycee and had pretty good luck. We camped on BLM land for free. The tag and conservation stamp cost us a total of $282. The most expensive part of the trip was the gas driving from Texas. There wasn't a whole lot of hunting pressure when we went. There were people around and you could see orange here and there, but there wasn't anyone hutning on top of each other. 21 may not be the place for a bunch of big trophies but we killed some good 11"to14" bucks there and had blast camping. Oh, depending on where you go, take a small varmit rifle for the prairie dogs and coyotes. I even think badgers are fair game, but the wildlife officials tend to frown on you shooting them. We saw a good sized badger chasing prairie dogs around but I didn't kill him; he was having too much fun.

Mtnbeer
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Mtnbeer » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:22 pm

Almost all leftover tags anywhere close to UT will sell out fast (even doe tags). I believe last year WYG&F sold 15,000 tags in the first 15 minutes of the leftover tag sale. I got one last year and had a blast. Find the public land, scout it before the season, and then hunt!