What to do with 3 points?

Talk anything related to Antelope
devinandmissy
Fawn
Fawn

What to do with 3 points?

Post by devinandmissy » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:38 pm

Me and my buddy each have 3 points for Wyoming antelope and were thinking about cashing in 2013. Does anyone have a suggestion on a unit to make good use of our points? We would not be apposed to putting in for the special draw if needed. I was told that unit 95 has some really nice antelope, does anyone have any experience with that unit? I would really like to get a wall hanger (over 14"). Thanks in advance.

hound_hunter
Monster
Monster

Re: What to do with 3 points?

Post by hound_hunter » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:24 am

I would feel confident being able to find a 14" in a lot of units up there. 95 has a lot of goats, as do most areas in Wyoming, I can't remember if 95 has more private than public or not, so that's something to look into. Next thing I would check is draw odds, you might not need 3 points to draw 95, in which case maybe you could do 2nd choice there and 1st choice somewhere harder...I've tried different units in WY almost every year I've hunted there (just for fun) and haven't found a bad one yet, haha. They all have goats, and for the most part you can find a good one if you're willing to cover the whole unit and look at all the goats before pulling the trigger (unless you see a whopper of course...or if there's a lot of hunting pressure you might want to tag a nice one if you see it)

Good luck! I'm excited to hear how it goes for you!

norcalhunter
Spike
Spike

Post by norcalhunter » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:55 pm

If you put in the special draw with 3 points you can draw probably all but a dozen units in WY. 95 last year took 5 points to have a chance at drawing but in the special draw you had a chance with 2. I have never hunted that area but am looking at 98 and 89 but I only have 1 point.

TexasHunter83
2 point
2 point

Post by TexasHunter83 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:53 pm

We hunted in unit 21 last year about 20 miles south-southwest of Kaycee. We camped right off of Smokey Gap road and hunted BLM land to the North of that road. I believe that road is the extreme bottom of the unit. 3 of us killed Antelope, mine being the biggest. I'd say he was aboug 13" to 14". I could be wrong, maybe he's 12" I'll have to go home and measure him and get back to you. I'll post a picture below and see if you can guesstimate. There's a huge bowl we hunted in where they all congregated. I got lucky the 2nd day and sat in some sage brush about halfway down a slope leading into the "bowl" and killed mine there @ 200 yrds.. My uncle killed the 2nd one in the same spot while we were field dressing mine; his was at 300 yds.. My other uncle killed one two days later in the same exact spot at about 125 yds. I didn't have points though. I purchased mine in the left-over draw the day they had them available. There was over 100 left over buck tags in that unit last year. It was definitely a fun hunt.
Attachments
Wyoming Unit 21 Antelope
Wyoming Unit 21 Antelope