WY antelope hunt question

Talk anything related to Antelope
ylts0hg
Fawn
Fawn

WY antelope hunt question

Post by ylts0hg » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:56 pm

I am wanting to start hunting antelope in WY. I am wondering what unit is an easy unit to draw with plenty of public land to hunt on. I am not to concerned about the size of the bucks. I just want to hunt them as often as possible. I live in UT, so the closer to UT the better. Thanks.

9er
Monster
Monster

Re: WY antelope hunt question

Post by 9er » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:47 am

http://wgfd.wyo.gov/web2011/home.aspx

That link should give you a good start

Pick a unit then come back with specifics, I think people are more willing to help out of your have done a little research.

generally the units that are close to utah have a little tougher odds just because of the proximity to utah.

Good luck
Watch your top knot!

TexasHunter83
2 point
2 point

Post by TexasHunter83 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:30 am

ylts0hg wrote:I am wanting to start hunting antelope in WY. I am wondering what unit is an easy unit to draw with plenty of public land to hunt on. I am not to concerned about the size of the bucks. I just want to hunt them as often as possible. I live in UT, so the closer to UT the better. Thanks.
Unit 21 had 100+ leftovers in 2012. I'm sure there are others that have as many. I wish I could help you on the draw there, but all we did was buy leftovers. Largest we killed was 11 1/2 incher and we weren't selective at all.

Mularcher
4 point
4 point

Post by Mularcher » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:20 am

Did you draw a tag? if not pm me if your looking OTC. There are still left over tags the problem is getting on private land in most areas. I can show you what I'm doing for a OTC antelope hunt in WY.
“If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it.” Fred Bear

ylts0hg
Fawn
Fawn

Post by ylts0hg » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:46 pm

So... I am looking at unit 20. There are some left over tags there. I have a couple questions. 1st, it is making it sound like I can buy 2 tags, is this correct or am I just not understanding the info right? 2nd, does anybody know how I can find out if it is mostly public land or private? Thanks for the tips so far.

:)

Chris

ylts0hg
Fawn
Fawn

Post by ylts0hg » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:53 am

Ok, so I found out that unit 20 is mostly private land. I am looking at unit 19 now. Anybody have any tips on that one?

2nasty4u
Fawn
Fawn

Post by 2nasty4u » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:43 pm

Every unit that has leftovers is going to be mostly private land, that's just the way it is. Most every unit you can draw with 0 preference points is going to be mostly private land as well. That doesn't mean that all of these units arent huntable, just that access to public land is more difficult than the hard to draw units. Some units have walk in hunt areas that are not considered public land. I would suggest looking at some maps that show public land, keep in mind that some public land isn't accessible because it is landlocked by private land. Call the game and fish and talk to a warden about walk in hunt areas and the access to what public land is available in whatever unit you are considering. I've never hunted in any of the units you have suggested so I can't offer any specific advice, just some general tips. Good luck.

MULEY7MM
4 point
4 point

Post by MULEY7MM » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:40 pm

I have a friend that has a ton of private land in a area with lots of left over tags.. He charges a trespass fee but you dont pay if you dont get one if you are interested let me know...
Glad to be back...

http://www.troutjournal.com