elavation effects?

Talk anything related to Shooting, Reloading, etc.
maintguy47
3 point
3 point

elavation effects?

Post by maintguy47 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:29 pm

I'm mostly a diehard bow hunter but I may be forced to hunt a bull with a rifle this year. I read some where that elavation change can change your bullet trajectery. When I've had to hunt with a rifle it's always my 30.06 with a 180gr boattail no matter what I'm hunting over the last 20 yrs. My scopes always set 3" high at 100yrds. I put about 80 rounds thru it each year if I'm gonna use it or not just to keep in touch with my rifle. I've never shot it above 5000ft and if
I go on this hunt I'll hunt between 8 and 12 thuosand ft. I know the angle (up and down) effects trajectery but does elevation its self effect it? By the way, I don't shoot at anything but targets over 350yrds. I know thats nothing to what you westrn boys shoot but these days thats as far as I know I can hit vitals with out question.

sneekeepete
Monster
Monster

Re: elavation effects?

Post by sneekeepete » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:19 am

Considering your Max range will be 350 yards don't worry about the elevation change. It won't affect your bullet enough to make a difference. Just shoot your rifle the day you get to camp and make any adjustments needed and you will be ready to go.
My experience has been that elevation changes have only affected my bullet minimal. Which I account for when shooting long range or at a match when fractions of an inch mean win or loose. Just my .02
good luck on the hunt and keep us updated.
SNEEKEEPETE
OIF Vet.
Sgt Petersen USMC
Colossians 1:27,28

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Post by Springville Shooter » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:04 am

Pete's right. Given your load, and expected range I would't think that you would notice too much difference. A given load tends to fly a little higher at high elevations, but it's normally neglegable and doesn't make a huge difference until your out there a ways. I'd still shoot a sighter when you get there if you get the opportunity. Question; Why sight in so high when you only plan to shoot out to 350? -----shooter
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"-----Col. Townsend Whelen

M.Bird
3 point
3 point

Post by M.Bird » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:15 am

The effects of bullet flight path at elevation:
YES you will need to re-sight in your rifle when you arrive at the correct elevation. Because there is less dense air at higher elevation your bullet will be moving faster. You don’t say what elevation you are shooting at now, if you are at sea level and go to the 8000 ft level, you will adjust at least 1 inch down, must likely closer to 2.
Air density has a lot to play with this, if you start in Florida nice heavy thick air, verse Jackson Wyoming, thin light air, you will see the difference.
Good luck on your hunt
M. Bird

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Post by Springville Shooter » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:54 pm

M.Bird,
Have you noticed this phenomenon while actually shooting, or are you just using ballistic data? I've done quite a bit of experimenting with this and going from 500ft where I used to live in California to 6000ft, my zero stayed on and I didn't start to notice any trajectory rise until 500yds or so. That's why my remark given the 350yd parameter was that there would be no significant change in holdover. According to some shooting I did in 2004, the best data I could come up with was that my average group rose about 2.5 inches at 500yds when shooting at 6000 ft vs 500ft. This is about 1/2MOA which is less variance than most of us shoot at that range anyway. Interesting to see if anyone else has done any of this kind of work. All that aside, I do recommend shooting for zero whenever you can before a hunt. It's always good to check and it also boosts your confidence and refreshes your sight picture memory.-----shooter
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"-----Col. Townsend Whelen

maintguy47
3 point
3 point

Post by maintguy47 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:30 pm

I always shoot a round or two when I reach my basecamp gun or bow. As for 3clicks high, I've shot remi corelocks 180gr since they have been makeing them. Boreing I know but you can get'em anywhere and they haven't let me down yet. From 100 to 350 yrds I can hold the crosshairs on the same spot on deer,hogs and elk and still make a clean kill. I don't have to worry about range as long as it's inside 350. Just wind drift if its blowing or if I'm shooting across a canyon. Maybe it's the way I've always hunted over the last 20yrs I don't but I've never been able to get any critters to stand out there and pose for me like on those tv shows. It's always been aquire the target decide take it or not and fire all within a few seconds or the oppertunity would be gone. 3clicks high is a nobrianer for me at those ranges and I need all those I can get at my age. Thanks for the info guys if I go (oct) I'll post some pictures.

sneekeepete
Monster
Monster

Post by sneekeepete » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:36 am

I had similar results as shooter when I brought my rifle from Camp Lejeune back home to Utah. I went from Sea level to roughly 6,000 ft. I also didn't notice a change until the 400 or 500 yard point. I don't remember for sure I would have to look at my log book but the change was so minute especially for the range that I haven't worried about it since unless I am trying to split hairs on the paper.
SNEEKEEPETE
OIF Vet.
Sgt Petersen USMC
Colossians 1:27,28

M.Bird
3 point
3 point

Post by M.Bird » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:22 pm

This is from personnel experience not off a ballistic table:
Why stationed in Wyoming, I did guiding for 4 yrs there. Clients (mostly east coast/great lakes) would arrive, after getting them set up, we head for the shooting range, (I want to know how far they can shoot and how good of a shot they are). Of course all the first time hunters “just sighted in before we left, gun is right on” I ask them to show me. Most not all needed sight adjustment. Returning clients know the drill and had not problem.

All were shooting 25 cal. Or larger, Because of air density at different locations and the air density at our location there bullets where faster less air presser and less gravitational pull. As stated before must not all had to make a sight adjustment of over 1” down wards.

This is from time on the range not out of a book.

Another factor that can affect is sight alignment: (OK shooting 101), did you sight in your rifle with your hunting shirt and jacket on? Or your short sleeve shirt? Your rifle will not fit you the same with extra clothing on, different sight alignment.

Could it be a combination of both factors for the 1inch+ adjustments? Possible.

Enjoy the day, for it is gone tomorrow.
M. Bird

crunch14
2 point
2 point

Post by crunch14 » Tue May 11, 2010 3:22 pm

I'll throw my 2cents into the fray. I sight in 2inches high at 100yards, around 700ft Elev. but hunt anywhere from 1500ft-6000ft. I have noticed no effect on my zero out to 400 yards (my maximum comfort zone). But as stated earlier when I'm at the range I have on think layers no matter the weather as well as my pack on to maintain sight alignment in the field.
Just remember they call it hunting not finding. It's all about the stories.
OIF vet 2003 SAPPERS LEAD THE WAY

Der Aulte Jaeger
Fawn
Fawn

Re: elevation effects?

Post by Der Aulte Jaeger » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:17 am

Using MOA, altitude causes a change at about a rate of 1 MOA per 5000 ft due to thinner air. Barometer and temp also plays a part but significantly less than the altitude will. In short the bullet flies faster at altitude making your 06 shoot more like a 300 H&H. For shots right at that 300 yd point at 10,000 ft you'll be shooting almost dead on and certainly within the kill zone of an elk, given your sight in at 3 high at 100 at sea level. If you have a chance by all means shoot a few rounds at altitude to check this out, shooting never hurts, unless you are shooting a 338 mag or larger with a hard recoil pad in a short sleeve shirt from the bench! #-o
der Aulte "Jäger"
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved!"

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/