6.5-284 long range hunter (gun scope combo?)

Talk anything related to Shooting, Reloading, etc.
kallred12
Fawn
Fawn

6.5-284 long range hunter (gun scope combo?)

Post by kallred12 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:39 pm

Just bought a savage 111 long range hunter in 6.5-284 caliber. Im thinkin about puting a bushnell elite 6500 4.5-30 power scope on it and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with one (good or bad). Also im thinking about using the berger 140 grn hunting vld but they are hard to get. Has anyone had any experience with other high bc hunting bullets in this caliber. I mostly plan to hunt deer and elk. Thanks for any input

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Re: 6.5-284 long range hunter (gun scope combo?)

Post by Springville Shooter » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:27 am

I've got some long range experience and you did a great job picking out your gun and cartridge. Savage has come a LONG way within the last 5 years and their products are very accurate. 6.5-284 has long been a benchmark contender in 1000yd competition and much of their success has been with Bergers high BC bullets. My only reservation is your scope. In all my experience, I have never seen anyone achieve great success at extreme range with the mid range scopes. You have gone out of your way to have a premium long range rifle, don't limit it's ability with inferior glass. I'd recommend the highest grade Leupold as a minimum for real long range work with Nightforce and the other top scopes being preferred. Trust me that there is a huge difference. Little things like paralx adjustment accuracy and reticle focus start making big differences when the range exceeds 400yds or so. As far as the bullets, I don't think that there is a better bullet for long work in this caliber, so I would just wait unitl you have the opportunity and buy as many of them as you can afford. Good luck and have fun. This is a savage action in 6BR and it shoots really good.-------SS
Attachments
6BR
6BR
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"-----Col. Townsend Whelen

kallred12
Fawn
Fawn

Post by kallred12 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:21 pm

I would prefer the bergers but getting them is the problem. My old man has had them on backorder for the last three months through several companys for his 6.5 and i have been looking at ballistics on the 140 grn accubond and 120 grn barnes ttsx and they seem good out to about 850 yards for desent speed and energy. Are there any other bullets ya might recomend for a long range hunting bullet and what do you think about these options till i can get bergers.

PS: The old man just ordered two barrels to put on savage actions, one is a 6XC and the other is a 243 ackley improved, has anyone had any experience with these calibers long range?

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Post by Springville Shooter » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:49 pm

I guess I got off track. For hunting out to the ranges you mentioned, the Accubond would do great. I have lost alot of matches to the Tubb designed 6XC, and have used the 243 improved 40 to shoot a number of coyotes further than 1/4 mile away. Sounds like you and your dad are in for some fun with those babies. I love to talk shooting, so keep the updates coming. My next project will be a 6.5 Creedmore.----------SS

StickBoy
Fawn
Fawn

Post by StickBoy » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:34 am

Man I love the 6.5-284. It has been a fierce competitor for some time on the F-Class circuit. I personally shoot a 264 for nostalgic reasons. My pa has carried one since 1963. If it not for that I would have either a 6.5-284 or 6.5 STW. The only downside to overbore calibers is the potential for throat erosion and limited barrel life. Just try not to heat it up if you can :) . The 6.5 has a good sectional density. The Berger VLD has a very high BC. I haven’t had any of my 6.5’s that like the VLD shape as far as accuracy goes though. I shoot TTSX’s in mine. Depends on where you stand on the SMK for hunting argument, the 142's deliver good accuracy. I haven’t hunted elk much, you might want other’s opinion as to if it is enough for long range elk (over 400 yds).
The Savage has really come a long way. I have a 308 in a savage 10 tactical platform. It is really tough to beat for out of the box accuracy. The accutrigger and accustock are good stock components. Try and keep the barrel as long as is practical.
I have run the Bushnell Elite line for about five years now. Binos, scopes, rangefinder, and spotter. The problems I have seen with the scopes is the scope blacking out at high magnification with little head movement. Eye relief is a touch short on a couple too. But they fit my budget :) I am a middle line guy who tries to save money for ammo, which is really where my time is needed. Calling the wind has been the toughest part for me to get under control in the long range game. However, for me the 6500 line doesn’t really bring enough gain in features to warrant the extra cost. You can get a 4200 that will have the features that are necessary to help you on longer range work. I prefer a “hash” mark type reticule over mil-dot, just so I have more holdover points, unfortunately Bushy doesn’t carry this option. However they do carry Front focal plane which is big for me. I don’t like having to do math to get my holdover points accurate. I like to use holdovers primarily while hunting with the option to dial if I have time. They also have a 30 mil tube, parallax adjust and MIL/MIL turrets that help to simplify things. I do like NightForce…but them boys is pricey. It is a great bombproof scope though. Even if you go 4200, to get good features you are still about $850 compared to $1400 for Nightforce.
Good luck!

kallred12
Fawn
Fawn

Post by kallred12 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:54 pm

Ok ive been working up some loads but as my luck always has it there have been problems. I have loaded up some barnes ttsx 120's with rl-22 and I have gotten a few great groups but pressures are to high. I dropped my load down but my group spread over an inch. With 57 gns of rl-22 im shooting 3300 fps and a 3/8 inch group at 100 yards. with this load pressures are to high and if i drop down my group opens up dramatically. anybody have any suggestions?

TheGreatwhitehunter

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:57 pm

As far as the bullets, I don't think that there is a better bullet for long work in this caliber, so I would just wait unitl you have the opportunity and buy as many of them as you can afford.
Right on the money with that statement. You have a great caliber and a very good gun.

Now the scope The Bushneall elite 6500 is a fine scope for the money the Nightforce is top of the line, a Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20X44 is also a very good choice this would be cheaper then Night force and a better then the 6500 elite IMO.

If you are interested in either the 6500 4.5-30 or the zeiss conquest 6.5-20x44 I have a friends who sells optics at a great price.

Let me know I can save you some Money.

But dont rule out the night force awesome glass.
THE LORD IS MY ROCK

kallred12
Fawn
Fawn

Post by kallred12 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:34 am

I got the chance to buy the elite 6500 tactical 4.5-30 for $660 brand new, couldn't pass it up. My thoughts are if i decide i would like higher quality later i can always use this on my 30-06. Not being able to get bergers is very frustrating but rumor has it there machines that build the 6.5 bullets broke down and they wont even start making them again till the end of the month ](*,) . As far as the 140 gn accubonds the best group i have been able to get consistently is about an inch at 100 yards. I have had a few 3 shot groups in the half inch range but go back and load more of the same load and they always open back up. maybe im being picky but for long range I dont feel that is good enough.

TheGreatwhitehunter

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:42 am

Thats a competive price for that scope, you should be happy with its performance, next time let me know my buddy still could of got it for you cheaper brand new too. Hang in there on the bergers there well worth the wait, let us know how the set up shoots when you get it all together.
THE LORD IS MY ROCK

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Post by Springville Shooter » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:54 am

"the best group i have been able to get consistently is about an inch at 100 yards. I have had a few 3 shot groups in the half inch range but go back and load more of the same load and they always open back up."

Don't give up on the load. If you find a load that is very consistent, try groups at 200, then 300 yards. I've actually seen a 6xc that barely groups sub-moa at 100 yds, yet will shoot 1/2moa at 1000yds and win matches. Some of these gun/bullet combos just don't shoot their best at 100. The benchrest shooters say the bullet hasn't "gone to sleep" yet at 100. I myself like to work until I at least get a solid 3/4 moa shooter at 100yds before I consider long shots at game. working up loads can be a pain, but it's worth it to have a performer that you are confident in. ---------SS