.300 Savage

Talk anything related to Shooting, Reloading, etc.
derekp1999
4 point
4 point

.300 Savage

Post by derekp1999 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:16 pm

I just acquired quite a bit of reloading equipment from my grandfather including brass, dies, etc. and one of the calibers is the .300 Savage. His father-in-law (my great grandfather) did most of his hunting with an old Model 99 lever action and my grandfather reloaded for him for many years.
That old rifle is long gone, but I now have all the reloading stuff & have lightly perused the interweb looking for a decent deal thinking that it would make a great youth round as it is similar in comparison to the 7mm-08 that I shot as a youngster. My grandfather really talked negatively of the cartridge, claiming poor ballistics in comparison to similarly sized rounds. But there's something nostalgic now in that caliber as the first die set he ever purchased was the .300 Savage.

My questions are... what are your experiences with the caliber, where's a good place to continue searching for a rifle, and what price point should I expect?
“The consequences of our actions are always so complicated, so diverse, that predicting the future is a very difficult business indeed.”
-Albus Dumbledore

ABert

Re: .300 Savage

Post by ABert » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:53 pm

Can't speak much on what a good price for one would be but I can speak a little bit about the caliber. The .300 Savage is a very accurate round in my experience and a fantastic deer sized animal round within 200-250 yards. Light recoil to boot. It is a great round for what it was designed for, IMHO.

I wouldn't discount it as just a youth/small framed individual round. It is a great round for anyone.
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.

JBird
Monster
Monster

Re: .300 Savage

Post by JBird » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:36 am

I know a guy that has both the .300 and .250. He loves them both, but they are both the model 99. I don't know what the price would be on a gun. I know the 99's can be pricey but you could probably find a good deal some where. Seems like I read an article in Field and Stream, maybe, a while back on them.