New Mexico Unit 45 Pecos Wilderness Elk Info

Talk Anything related to Elk Hunting
dustyraider
Fawn
Fawn

New Mexico Unit 45 Pecos Wilderness Elk Info

Post by dustyraider » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:52 pm

Hi, I just drew an archery Elk tag in the Pecos Wilderness Area (unit 45) of New Mexico. I was wondering if anyone has ever hunted this area (bow, Muzzy, or rifle). I have never hunted this area and was wondering if anyone had any tips they would like to share ( elk sightings, kills, close calls, or anything thing else that would help. I greatly appreciate your time!

Thank You!

txrubble
Fawn
Fawn

Re: New Mexico Unit 45 Pecos Wilderness Elk Info

Post by txrubble » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:25 am

I know Unit 45 (used to be 44/45) very well having hunted both mulies and elk with archery and muzzleloader. I have been drawn for this unit 5 times for deer muzzleloader and two times for elk archery. The only hunt that I did not succeed at was my second archery elk tag and that is because I let a couple of sat bulls pass trying to get to the big boy. If I were going archery hunting, I would camp at Iron Gate and hunt into Hamilton Mesa through the aspens. You can hear the elk stomping around from a long way off. There are wallows up on top of Hamilton Mesa, but outfitters sometimes set up base camps on them (which pisses me off). In order to succeed, I would certainly train for high altitude and develop the ability to take the meat off the carcass and pack it out. No ATV's are allowed which makes it good hunting.

tx jwitt
Fawn
Fawn

Re: New Mexico Unit 45 Pecos Wilderness Elk Info

Post by tx jwitt » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:36 am

Hi my son and I were drawn for Unit 45 mule deer in the Pecos Wilderness of New Mexico for muzzleloader the last week in Sept. 2016 this is a new unit for us. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks