CO GMU 51 Elk

Talk Anything related to Elk Hunting
jbrower115
Fawn
Fawn

CO GMU 51 Elk

Post by jbrower115 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:49 pm

I'm new to hunting, and new to the area, so you can bet I have some questions! I kinda went leftover crazy and grabbed one of the three rifle GMU 51 cow tags figuring it would be better to have it than not (???) But where should I try for? I live past Rampart, almost to the river.

--J
Si vis pacem, para bellum: "If you seek peace, prepare for war" And that's why it's called 9mm Parabellum

Hiker

Re: CO GMU 51 Elk

Post by Hiker » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:03 am

Nice to see you on MuleyMadness. Welcome! :thumb Have you scouted up Jackson Creek Road or the southern Part of Rampart yet? It has been years since I've hunted 51, so I'm not to up to date. You might want to PM obxman, as he use to hunt there for turkeys and might be able to assist you.
Hiker

Proverbs 3:5-6

TheGreatwhitehunter

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:51 am

All I can tell you is that the elk are scattered in this unit they tend to move to deep dark areas when the pressure starts and there is quite a bit of pressure. Also they tend to seek refuge on private land during the rifle seasons. All the 4 wheeler and dirt bikes that are roaming around the parts of the Nation Forest recreactionally dont help either.

Try getting a hold of the bioligist for the unit they be able to help you find a genreal area to start with. It is a pretty good size unit and there are elk there but again it is hit and miss.
THE LORD IS MY ROCK

jbrower115
Fawn
Fawn

Post by jbrower115 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:38 pm

No, haven't done an ounce of scouting. Yes, I am kicking myself already! ](*,)

I have a serious question, but I don't want to start a new topic: I got one of my granddad's rifles and I'm looking at using the Hornady LEVERevolution ammo with it, but Cabelas, Bass Pro, Gander Mountain, CheperThanDirt and Sportsman's Warehouse are out of it. The major sporting goods stores I called didn't even carry it. I'm thinking of Big R & Sportsman's Guide...any suggestions. Oh yeah, it's a .35 Rem.
Si vis pacem, para bellum: "If you seek peace, prepare for war" And that's why it's called 9mm Parabellum

Hiker

Post by Hiker » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:17 pm

Call Hornady directly. They might have some. I am impressed with that ammo.
Hiker

Proverbs 3:5-6

TheGreatwhitehunter

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:53 pm

If you call around to some of the Gander Mountains in other states they may transfer the ammo to the Gander Mountain near you assuming you would get a few boxes at minium. I know they have done things like this for me in the past.

Did you check with the Thorton store too or just the Aurora one?
THE LORD IS MY ROCK

jbrower115
Fawn
Fawn

Post by jbrower115 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:18 pm

ok, today was the last day for that elk tag...and all I got was fresh tracks ( :>/ ), crunchy snow, cold wind, and a promising elk hunting future in 51! The tracks we saw were right on the road, looked like two elk, joined by a couple more a 1/8 mile ahead. Next year we'll pray for no snow, and a solid week out there.