Bow hunting the Book Cliffs?

Talk anything related to bowhunting
Tyewire
2 point
2 point

Re: Bow hunting the Book Cliffs?

Post by Tyewire » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:32 pm

Well I'm Back!!
First off I want to thank all the people who helped me out on this great site. =D> All info was useful and appreciated.

We had a fantastic trip. Saw more deer that I have ever dreamed of seeing in any hunting trip here in Oregon and the Books are beautiful. 10sign:

We scouted for a day and half and decided on the west side of the unit. We like everyone else saw all the nice buck along the road but decided to hunt on foot away from other hunters and vehicles. Don't get me wrong, I would never pass up a gift buck on the way back to camp, just not what we are used to doing. lol

We hunted hard everyday with 5 to 10 miles a day on our feet. We snuck on bucks 3 and sometimes 4 times a day. Mule deer are tough #-o

My cry in your beer story happened Friday. Got in the middle of 16 bucks and had the one of my dreams 30 yards broadside. Drew my bow, and the arrow fell to the ground. Not once but 3 times ](*,) . The lesson of the story is draw all your arrows with broad heads to make sure you have no problems. The blade was 90 to the riser and hooked my felt patch on the way up, thus pulling the arrow off the string. This never happened with my practice broad heads FYI. He was the widest buck of the trip and in my non expert opinion would go close to 180 and 30".

With only a few days left in the trip I took this great buck. Not a monster in most peoples eyes but, he is to me. He helped ease the pain a little of the day before.

We also meet some real nice people from Utah that represented the state well. Thank you to them as well.

As for my dad, he missed a real nice buck but has always taught me that a successful trip does not always end with a kill. He was happy and satisfied with the trip and so was I.

We left a few days early because of the severe thunderstorms. WOW!! Those were impressive.

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Post by Springville Shooter » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:45 pm

Congrat on a nice buck and a great hunt. I too appreciate this site and am amazed at the depth of knowlege and the willingness to share here. Thanks for the great story and pics.----------SS
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"-----Col. Townsend Whelen

a_bow_nut

Post by a_bow_nut » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:51 am

I'm glad to see that everybody had a good time on their hunts. As long as you are happy the bucks that you harvested then thats all that matters. They look like some fine bucks to me and they are by and far alot larger than anything I have ever harvested.

Hoping to change that in just 51 days 20 hours and 58 minutes.

But whos counting right?
Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell
the difference.

Loafer
3 point
3 point

Post by Loafer » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:08 pm

Nice lookin buck, the fronts look awesome.
Uva uvam vivendo varia fit - Augustus McCrae

fstop
Fawn
Fawn

Post by fstop » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:20 pm

Hey Tyewire,
Glad to hear things worked out for you and your dad. Great Buck! It looks like re-locating your camp to the west worked! It was Brad's and my pleasure meeting you guys on the mountain. Did you ever encounter any bears? Best of luck in the future..

Adam Eakle aka Fstop

Tyewire
2 point
2 point

Post by Tyewire » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:11 pm

Hey F-Stop! Yes it did work. No bears, I think after a week and a half we smelt like a couple of boar bear ourselves and they stayed away lol . It was our pleasure meeting you guys! Thanks again for the trip to town and the ice. I look forward to seeing you hunt footage. Post us some pics of your buck! I talked with the guide friend over there and they killed that non-tip. Green score of 227!

Best of luck to you! If you ever get the itch to hunt or fish over here, or for any reason need a place to stay. Please, please give me a call. just pm.

Tell Brad the walleye fishing in the Columbia is real good. :thumb

bonehead
4 point
4 point

Post by bonehead » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:49 pm

This is a great story 10sign: 10sign: 10sign: :thumb

swbuckmaster
2 point
2 point

Post by swbuckmaster » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:33 pm

Tyewire wrote: I talked with the guide friend over there and they killed that non-tip. Green score of 227!
Tyewire you saying they killed a 227 off the books? by the way your buck is pretty cool!

I was with friends out there hunting elk and deer! we did see some pretty nice bucks this year! Id say a banner year in the books. Our group ended up taking two bucks and an elk so far. We still have one hunter to fill a tag. he is being picky though and I think he will end up with a nice buck when its all said and done!

again congrats

Tyewire
2 point
2 point

Post by Tyewire » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:00 pm

Thanks!

Yes they did take a 227 Gross non tip out the west side in the roadless on foot. I am hoping I can get a pic so I can post it. It supposedly has two stickers with a drop point.

swbuckmaster
2 point
2 point

Post by swbuckmaster » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:18 pm

ya Id love to see the photos!