Mule Deer Summer Patterns

Talk anything related to bowhunting
Mularcher
4 point
4 point

Mule Deer Summer Patterns

Post by Mularcher » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:46 pm

Over the last month I’ve got a couple Nevada bucks daily pattern about down and I think they are in spots that they won’t be bothered. My question is how long do you guys feel mule deer remain in their summer patterns? I wasn’t able to close the deal over the opening weekend, the problem is getting the time off to hunt these guys for a couple days. I’m going after the two below not monsters but decent DIY public land bucks.
Attachments
2.jpg
2.jpg (96.6 KiB) Viewed 17465 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (112.68 KiB) Viewed 17465 times
“If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it.” Fred Bear

PhillyB
3 point
3 point

Re: Mule Deer Summer Patterns

Post by PhillyB » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:54 am

I think you will be fine for the rest of the season. It will still be plenty warm to keep these deer right where they are.

They may move a ridge or two if they get bumped, but they will be in the same area.

BTW- They are both shooters by my standards :thumb
The right thing to do and the hard thing to do are usually the same thing

Mularcher
4 point
4 point

Post by Mularcher » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:56 am

Cool thanks I’ll be after them again in a couple weeks.
“If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it.” Fred Bear

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:21 pm

Yea unless someone bumps them out of the area, they should still be around and there AGREED.

mastergreenhead
Fawn
Fawn

Post by mastergreenhead » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:28 pm

I agree with previous recommendations. If not disturbed they will also use the same bed and favorite shady spot in the mid-day if you might know where those are.
Good luck!
Me likes the elk, loves the deer, and drool's over the mallard type ducks with toes up in a plate of gravys.

leupoldmkIVm3
Fawn
Fawn

Post by leupoldmkIVm3 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:17 pm

I agree they aren't going anywhere,unless someone just pressures the burn out of them. They are comfortable in thier summer routines and even if if bothered, they'll come back. You have to remember, these bucks know thier home turf like you know the back of your hand. They won't blow out of the country they call home. Be patient and you'll find them within a short distance of where you last seen them. Get em' :thumb

Mularcher
4 point
4 point

Post by Mularcher » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:34 pm

You guys were right the buck I’ve been chasing didn’t move a inch over the last month. I was able to stalk him for several hours this weekend but in the end two younger bucks came in and screwed things up.
Attachments
IMG_20130901_074216_486.jpg

mastergreenhead
Fawn
Fawn

Post by mastergreenhead » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:56 pm

Worth another try as deer don't bump other deer from favorite spots. He'll be back and grand on the BBQ!
Also, do you have a decoy to distract the little ones on their way or can you get in earlier?
Me likes the elk, loves the deer, and drool's over the mallard type ducks with toes up in a plate of gravys.

Mularcher
4 point
4 point

Post by Mularcher » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:06 pm

No decoy this guy is a hours hike up. Yea those two smaller bucks messed my stalk up that day I closed to 100 yards and he was bedded so I went higher to come from above in that time two smaller bucks came in and moved him along like they knew what I was about to do.. bummer

I was surprised how fast several bucks rubbed their velvet off some fully within two days.
Last edited by Mularcher on Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

PhillyB
3 point
3 point

Post by PhillyB » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:07 am

Id say hike in the night before, camp out, and be there at first light the next morning. Or start your hike early enough that you can quietly hike in and be set up an hour before gray light.

Next weekend is "ugly hour" as we call it... gotta get it done.

Good luck and keep us posted.
The right thing to do and the hard thing to do are usually the same thing